Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 55 panel in to the garage today for it's MOT, this is the annual Ministry Of Transport examination that we have to complete every 12 months to confirm roadworthiness, my local garage is a bit of a fan of American vehicles, he has a couple of Harleys and a Dodge Ram in the staff carpark.

He was well impressed with the Chevy and gave me a clean sheet, although I know that everything is ticketyboo, it is always nice to here it from a professional.

The 4400 truck is going in the morning - lets hope this goes so well - I doubt it will go straight through but I am hopeful.

In the Uk we need an MOT to get a road fund licence which is a tax disc that is fixed on the screen, all cars must be taxed if they are on the road, you also need a valid insurance policy to obtain a tax disc.

The cost of this tax disc varies with the cars emmissions, a small car like a Ford Focus will cost £165 ( $260) and a bigger polluter like my Land Rover 90 costs a whopping £435 ($685) But the Chevy is classed as a classic car ( pre 1973) so the Road Tax is FREE.

Added to that my insurance is just £88 ( $140)

Gas ( Petrol) is £5.40 ($8.50) a gallon.

This brings me to wonder is there a standard inspection test in the USA ?

What else do you have to do over there to get your cars on the road, what hoops do you have to jump through and what are the associated costs?

Bob

68,758 Posts
thats good to hear bob. :five: every state is different here. :stupido2: in my state and county, no inspection on antique cars. plates, pay for once and thats it. no tax on them either. every day used cars is like yours. :toilet:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
thats good to hear bob. :five: every state is different here. :stupido2: in my state and county, no inspection on antique cars. plates, pay for once and thats it. no tax on them either. every day used cars is like yours. :toilet:
Some states want to change that.

In the Dayton, Oh area they still make you do an E-check on your vehicle even though there is 100% no proof this has any affect on the environment.

Dayton (Montgomery county) even did away with E-check a couple years ago only to be sued by the company that did the vehicle inspections. They had a contract. So........ the county re-instated the inspections.

Meaning it's okay to rip off tax payers if you have a contract.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OUCH! How much is beer and cigs? I'm sure a spot of tea is cheap:tee:

What is it with the tea, we don't actually drink that much tea over here, maybe back in the Victorian days - but not know... we even have Coca Cola and McDonalds here now !

Although I must say it all tastes better in the USA - why is that I wonder.

Off to put the kettle on now ! For coffee !:biggrin:

·
Registered
495 Posts
What is it with the tea, we don't actually drink that much tea over here, maybe back in the Victorian days - but not know... we even have Coca Cola and McDonalds here now !

Although I must say it all tastes better in the USA - why is that I wonder.

Off to put the kettle on now ! For coffee !:biggrin:
I know! Lived in East Anglia for a couple years:sign0020:

Beer and cigs??? You didn't say

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20 marlboro £6.10 - beer depends but you don't get much change from £3 pint

Rip off Britain - bet you don't miss East Anglia.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Congrats on passing the inspection. Here in Washington state we have an every other year emissions test for daily drivers, nothing for the classics:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
20 marlboro £6.10 - beer depends but you don't get much change from £3 pint

Rip off Britain - bet you don't miss East Anglia.
I don't know how you folks can afford living in the UK. As far E.A., many, many years ago, I watched Charles race around Sandringham in his go-kart:auto14:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts