Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang
I started to search on this, but then I decided not to invent the wheel. Someone told me he heard of a paper air filter element that could be put into the original oil-bath air cleaner. I want the performance (and lack of oil sloshing) with a modern air filter, but want the look of the original.

Can someone tell me what filter to use, or point me to an article that shows how to do it...if there are mods to be made?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
Mike if you know the diameter and thickness of the original filter you can go on K&N`s filter site and look in the filter description chart for the size you need,Terry.
http://www.knfilter.com/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if I wasn't clear, but the "original filter" is a few inches of oil. I heard someone found a paper air filter that would fit in the origininal case, and that's what I'm trying to find.

1,544 Posts
air filter

Classic Chevy International has the element you're looking for, I would attach the whole article but it's bigger than allowed on this site, I can e-mail as a PDF if I have your address, the part # is 18-208 at CCI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
57viper said:
Classic Chevy International has the element you're looking for, I would attach the whole article but it's bigger than allowed on this site, I can e-mail as a PDF if I have your address, the part # is 18-208 at CCI.
That part number is for 1957-'58.
...according to their advertisement anyway.:confused:

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
As i said before, if you`ll get a diameter measurement off of your breather and how thick you need it, K&N has a chart with the measurements to tell you which filter # you need from them. Terry http://www.knfilter.com/search/universal.aspx

1,544 Posts
air filter

Hi Guys: According to my CCI catalog #18-275 is for 56 2-barrel, it also states that the 55 4-barrels require modification to the snorkel, the other numbers are 18-276 55-56 4-barrel and 18-208 57 2&4 Barrel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts