Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after loss of oil pressure in my mid 70's 350 gen 1 I removed pan and pump, all parts look good but the (attached photo) pieces were found in the oil pan
getting ready to replace everything today (pump,shaft,pickup)
any ideas on what they are
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Hi, its hard to see from the picture but it looks like a bearing edge..which means after you replace the pump and pickup it stands a good chance of spinning a rod or main bearing. You might want to think hard about rebearing it while you have it apart.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Could be the remains of a broken lifter retainer clip. Inspect your lifters (need to remove the inlet manifold) where the pushrods sit, there are clips that prevent the hydraulic lifter plungers from escaping, normally they would not be noticable until the lifter preload is released at the rocker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thumper
Brilliant simply brilliant
grabbed a lifter from the garage its a perfect match
I assume one of my lifters collapsed due to oil pressure problem and clip broke
I have replaced pump and shaft waiting for rtv to dry before i test pump
then i guess I pull intake and replace lifter
do you think this caused oil pump failure or result of
thanks again
God Bless our Veterans

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Probably a post oil pressure or simply an unrelated random failure, but you said the oil pump failed, or the drive? What type of oil pump, std or high volume, I say this because I see so many problems caused by those high volume pumps trying to pump 20W50 oil when cold because they pump so much that 90% of it is bypassed. My advice is always run the std volume pump, or if you are going for a bit of performance use, use the Z28 pressure relief spring (used to be brown).
High volume pumps should only be used for sustained high rpm use such as circle track.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thumper
old pump seems fine we think maybe the distributor got loose of its hold down fork and was not engaging the oil pump
filling with oil right now
removed high volume melling replaced with std.
wish me luck going to prime pump right now
thanks again you have been a huge help
bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts