Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I open my passenger side door I get the "bang" from what I assume is the internal hinge/spring. What's going on in there, and is there any quick fix without major surgery?

thanks
Ace

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Probably not. It sounds like the flat springs that detent the door in the open position is broken. Look in the hinge pocket and see if there is a crack in one of the springs. You can see the end of the flat springs here. If it's broken, you may try breaking the remainder of the spring off. The door just won't detent open as well.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
Ace....Have to take off the door panel, take a look at the handle return spring, linkages and latch assy.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got lucky on this one...(and I'm also an idiot)
After careful exam into the hinge pockets with a flashlight...found the flat detent springs to be solid. Did a lot of head scratching.

Then I noticed the trim on center outside of door & front fender were getting just slightly hung up on eachother....and fender trim was snapping back loudly. Couple taps with a rubber mallet on the end of the trim solved the mystery.

Amazing how that sounded like a spring.....and I've been living with that for months!! (hence the part about being an idiot!)

Ace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts