Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done searches on this subject, but can not find what I'm looking for. Also nothing in installation manual I can find. Putting together the passenger side vertical fin molding and don't quite understand. I know how the vertical fin attaches (clip sides into top of fin stainless and how to do it). My question deals with the long plate that attaches to the vertical car body under the stainless. When I do a mock trial of sliding the vertical stainless down, it doesn't seem to go over the long plate to hold the stainless on. I'm almost sure this long plate goes here, but it's been 7 years since taking apart and can't seem to get it. Does anyone have pics of their installation? Thanks for any heip.

Fuzz

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I do know that. But when I mock up sliding the vertical stainless piece down, the vertical stainless doesn't seem to "catch" anything on the inside of the stainless to hold it on to the plate. Shouldn't the inside of vertical stainless slide over the outside of the plate?

Fuzz

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Thanks, I do know that. But when I mock up sliding the vertical stainless piece down, the vertical stainless doesn't seem to "catch" anything on the inside of the stainless to hold it on to the plate. Shouldn't the inside of vertical stainless slide over the outside of the plate?

Fuzz
The vertical fin doesn't slide over the plate. There is another clip that it slides over. .... http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-corner-fin-molding-clips-stainless-steel-1957.html... The bottom of the fin screws into the plate.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Don. I don't have one of those on the passenger side, but do on the driver side. Will have to try and find one. Does anyone have an extra they would part with? Next Question: What is the plate good for then?

Fuzz

·
27,021 Posts
Thanks Don. I don't have one of those on the passenger side, but do on the driver side. Will have to try and find one. Does anyone have an extra they would part with? Next Question: What is the plate good for then?

Fuzz
The ears on the bottom of the fin screw into the plate. I don't remember if the clip screws into the plate also, or if it screws to the body.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Does your vertical stainless have the brace across the very bottom? Lots of times that piece pulls off and then there won't be anything to anchor it to the that long piece you're asking about.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is there. I know that the vertical fin bracket screws to the bottom of plate. But why is there such a large plate if only the bottom of it is used? Just doesn't make much sense to me to have this long plate there. Is it long and screwed to both ends to make a stable attachment?

Fuzz

·
27,021 Posts
Yes it is there. I know that the vertical fin bracket screws to the bottom of plate. But why is there such a large plate if only the bottom of it is used? Just doesn't make much sense to me to have this long plate there. Is it long and screwed to both ends to make a stable attachment?

Fuzz
I wondered about that also. I guess it's to cover the hole in the quarter panel??? Finally found the picture I was looking for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Until I saw that last picture I had no idea what the plate was that you're talking about. When I stripped my car down for paint I didn't come across one of those. The trim seemed to be held on without it but I guess it's something I have to find, now that I'm almost at the reassembly stage. Anybody have an extra?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,152 Posts
The plate covers the hole. It had body sealer all the way around it. The holes in it are larger then the screws that are used to hole it in place. The bottom of the stainless is screwed to it. By adjusting it on the body, you can move the bottom of the stainless left ot right depending on the body. This is needed to alighn the center of the stainless to the center of the tail lamp. You need this part to hold the lower end of the stainless.

I have plenty of them if anyone need one.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
The plate covers the hole. It had body sealer all the way around it. The holes in it are larger then the screws that are used to hole it in place. The bottom of the stainless is screwed to it. By adjusting it on the body, you can move the bottom of the stainless left ot right depending on the body. This is needed to alighn the center of the stainless to the center of the tail lamp. You need this part to hold the lower end of the stainless.

I have plenty of them if anyone need one.

Mikey
Email sent

1 - 12 of 12 Posts