Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed a big chunk of my inner quarter panel in the passenger compartment, trying to save the outer quarter. I ended up replacing the quarter, and while that was a challenge, I got that finished a while back, so I welded the inner quarter back in place.

Then I started grinding the welds, about 5-6' worth, just because. (Most wouldn't do it.) I soon got really frustrated, and procrastinated finishing the job.

I usually use a 3" diameter 1/16" thick cutoff wheel to cut mig weld beads on sheet metal.

I had a collection of cut off wheels from various sources, and none of the ones I tried from my stash seemed to cut the weld very fast. Frustrating.

So last week I ordered some medium priced 36 grit 1/16" cut off wheels from McMaster-Carr, as well as some more expensive ones.

When I got them, I compared them to what I had on hand. Turns out that what I'd been trying to use was 60 grit instead of 36 grit. I don't even know where they came from, but it's probably swap meet stuff.

There is a huge difference! And no doubt more important than where it's made or what it costs, though I think that's a factor too.

So anyway I'm back in the weld grinding routine. It's still not fun, even when it's working better. But at least I'm making progress on this again.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,470 Posts
Having good quality stuff helps. Here are a few tips. Go as slow as the grinder will go. It keeps the metal and grinder wheel cooler. When you heat the weld, by grinding on it, it work hardens the metal, and makes it even harder to grind. After a while of using a grinder wheel, the 3 inch straight type, remove it and reverse the direction it was rotating, this will clean the surface of the wheel, and it will cut better.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.