Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My schedule is nuts but I still want to remove the rust from my car. Instead of letting the project sit I rather just pay someone to repair the car. It needs new rockers, small floor patches, lower door repair and quarter panel work. I just wanted to see what the price range of this type of work would be and if you guys had any tips on approaching this. The car doesn't run so I can't drive it to shops. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Jeff, without at least photos it would be extremely hard to give you any idea of what it might cost? If you could post some photos I'm sure there would be members who could give you a ball park figure.
You might also call around to some of the local body - paint shops to see if they could transport your car to their shop for repairs etc. I know some of them have the car hauler trailers.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Well, lets look at it in hours

My schedule is nuts but I still want to remove the rust from my car. Instead of letting the project sit I rather just pay someone to repair the car. It needs new rockers, small floor patches, lower door repair and quarter panel work. I just wanted to see what the price range of this type of work would be and if you guys had any tips on approaching this. The car doesn't run so I can't drive it to shops. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
rather than dollars. Rockers, about 40 hours to R&R. From there, and believe me it will happen, the discoveries begin. The rockers will hide more than you can imagine. So, it would be nice to see pictures of the aflicted areas to give a ballpark hour list. Remember this also. ANY item left in the path of the rust aflicted area that can or needs to be removed will cost you that amount of time, i.e. seats (front or back) hardware, steering wheel etc. If the floor rust is over a brace, most likely the brace will be afected and need repair.

Pictures really answer the obvious, but until the repair begins, there are many unknowns. Pinholes will be discovered - they lead to more repair. RUST NEVER SLEEPS OR GOES AWAY. It's like a cancer and until it's all gone, the area will continue to be an issue.

JMHO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have the pictures at home. I will get them online and go from there.

Don,
are there any shops you recommend?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
IMO, I'd do away w/ all the floor/inner rocker rust at 1 time, with a 1 pc floor. That amt of rust would drive me nutz, doing a patch job....
You can bet your last dime, the floor braces are eaten up, too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
raysur all the above are rite i thought i only needed front floor pans and wheen i blasted the rust/under coating from the bottom i hade holes like silver dollars every where.but that is not all!! so i cut the floor/inter rockers out only exposing more cancer in the rockers{to much to repair] i will never assume i only need a little in fact my next build i will assume i need every thing .you could spend 10.000 in metal alone not counting labor or other materials

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am just now completing resto on a 56 that was very similar to your car.
Costs continue to go up daily, so far have spent close to $30,000.

Jim 56 belair 2dr sedan

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

Please, please, please, do yourself a huge favor and get the 1 piece floor, and one piece trunk if neccessary. The amount of grief you'll save is immeasurable. If that's rust through I see on the roof that would be a concern as well. Whoever fixes that will need to get under the skin to be sure the rust is taken care of and doesn't return.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys,
Right now my time is better suited at work then struggling with this car. I have to rethink my approach. 30k isn't worth it.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Thanks guys,
Right now my time is better suited at work then struggling with this car. I have to rethink my approach. 30k isn't worth it.
Ray I'm sure that $30k was for the whole restore not the metal replacement. altho it could be a third of that easy. There are,I would guess, thousands of cars near you that require much less repairs than yours that you can buy for less than the repairs to yours.
Jim

·
Registered
722 Posts
WHAT? am i not seeing something? maybe im used to nj rotten cars. this one looks real nice to me. i do not see 30k of work. get a welder and go at it.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Everyone is assuming since you have some bad sheetmetal, all is bad. I did all my own work and I'm an amatuer welder with a friends welder. I replaced my front floorpans and made my own driver toeboard. There were a couple other small places where I welded in my own quality sheetmetal pieces in the floor. All my braces were good, but two had small (nickle size) holes I welded patches in. My top part of my rocker panels were toast (leaks and carpet moisture), as well as portions of the inner rocker panel. The outers were good. I made all my own patches and pieces and welded them in. Cost, two floor pans $100, free scrap pieces of sheet metal from work and my labor. Unfortunately, taking this job to someone else, they'll want to repalce more than fix old.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Everyone is assuming since you have some bad sheetmetal, all is bad. I did all my own work and I'm an amatuer welder with a friends welder. I replaced my front floorpans and made my own driver toeboard. There were a couple other small places where I welded in my own quality sheetmetal pieces in the floor. All my braces were good, but two had small (nickle size) holes I welded patches in. My top part of my rocker panels were toast (leaks and carpet moisture), as well as portions of the inner rocker panel. The outers were good. I made all my own patches and pieces and welded them in. Cost, two floor pans $100, free scrap pieces of sheet metal from work and my labor. Unfortunately, taking this job to someone else, they'll want to repalce more than fix old.
Your repairs look excellent. I'm doing the same with my ride..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke to my Uncle today (he has experience restoring cars unlike myself :D). And looks like the project will continue with his help. :happy0030:

Thanks guys for the advice and comments. He agrees that some parts are easier to replace but quite a few he is willing to fab. I'm just happy that the car will soon have progress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts