Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am installing a 1181ls in my car but am not clear bout the red wire connection...it says if you are using a ballast resistor to connect to the side with the ignition switch of the resistance. i checked the ballast resistor with my ohm meter key off , no juice , then with the key on both have juice so is it connected to the side with the single wire or the side with multiple wires? thanks aero

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Thats how my 57 is hooked up. I have electric wipers so i have the two wires and on is brown. I think side coming from ignition to ballast is green.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello, from the wiring diagram it looks like you are supposed to hook it up so that the new(red) wire is connected to the side with one wire going into the ballast resistor and the wires coming out are connected to the coil..so now i am totally confused. cant post a pic but there was a wiring diagram on the web from pertronix as well as the other info i was able to find. now what?
aero

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
What color are the wires on the ballest resistor? Do you have electric wipers?
The red wire goes on the end with the BROWN wire. The black wire goes on the - coil terminal.

P.S. Both ends of the ballest resistor wiring goes to the ignition switch. The brown wire to "ign1", the dark green wire to "ign2".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What color are the wires on the ballest resistor? Do you have electric wipers?
The red wire goes on the end with the BROWN wire. The black wire goes on the - coil terminal.

P.S. Both ends of the ballest resistor wiring goes to the ignition switch. The brown wire to "ign1", the dark green wire to "ign2".
don,
this is the unit that does not require removal of the distributor and uses only the lobe to trigger the unit.
hope my explanation makes sense..its been re-wired so the colors do not match. electric wipers
the diagram that came with the unit says to hook it up to the ignition side of the resistor, so it seems to need 12 volts to run it and it also shows the new (red) wire not connected on the side that is connected to the + side of the coil, so i am assuming it is the side that has the single wire coming into from the alternator (was converted!) this wire is spliced into and goes through the firewall .. .presumably to the ignition.
thanks aero

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
OK, do this. Disconnect the single wire from the resistor. Turn the key on and measure the voltage on the 2 wires that are on the other end of the resistor. Then reconnect the single wire and disconnect the 2 wires and measure the voltage on the single wire with the key on. Connect the red wire to the wire or wires that have 12 volts.
P.S. With wires connected to both ends of the resistor, you can tell which wires have voltage and which ones don't, because a resistor won't drop any voltage if there is not a load on it.
The electric wiper motor is normally connected to one end of the ballest resistor. Where is it connected?
I'm confused as to why the alternator would be connected to the ballest resistor?? :confused0006:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, do this. Disconnect the single wire from the resistor. Turn the key on and measure the voltage on the 2 wires that are on the other end of the resistor. Then reconnect the single wire and disconnect the 2 wires and measure the voltage on the single wire with the key on. Connect the red wire to the wire or wires that have 12 volts.
P.S. With wires connected to both ends of the resistor, you can tell which wires have voltage and which ones don't, because a resistor won't drop any voltage if there is not a load on it.
The electric wiper motor is normally connected to one end of the ballest resistor. Where is it connected?
I'm confused as to why the alternator would be connected to the ballest resistor?? :confused0006:
don,
i understand and will check the items you mentioned nice to know there a knowledgeable people on this site, will post in the afternoon with results....thanks for all of the help with this.
aero

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don,
i understand and will check the items you mentioned nice to know there a knowledgeable people on this site, will post in the afternoon with results....thanks for all of the help with this.
aero
don , checked everything as you suggested and found the 12 volt wire and hooked it up there...the red was not from the alternator as i said earlier but from a relay box near it , i just did not notice where it was coming from until i checked further. thanks and car is running fine. aero

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.