Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator & Tech Articles
55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PG transmission on the '55 leaks, while sitting in the drive way...Really have to keep an eye on the fluid level....Its not the burb through the fill tube thing, its something else.....I haven't investigated it yet.

Before I crawl under there and start looking, are there places that typically leak that I should look at....I'm thinking line connections, tail shaft seal and worse case front pump seal :eek: The transmission seems to be operating just fine by the way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP!

55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of.....Since its performing well, I plan on nursing it along, until I get a TH700-R4 in her.

Does the stop leak junk made for transmissions do any good or will it just plug up the inner passages of the transmissions as well? :eek:

· Registered
247 Posts
There is no magic in a can but some products offer some benefits. My old Powerglide was leaking pretty badly (don’t they all?). It had been sitting for a long time before I got her and I suspect the seals had dried out. I tried Lucas Transmission fix and much to my surprise the leaks stopped (well almost stopped) and she would shift into low from high much smoother. If you are going to replace the transmission regardless, it is worth a shot. It is supposed to expand the seals and not clog anything up.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=9&loc=show

(As a personal comment from experience I would never use a transmission flush on an old automatic transmission unless it is in preparation for a rebuild.)

55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SW....Will give it a shot......Always value your sound, logical input :):tu

55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

55,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David, I think he means filler tube O-ring on the right side and shifter seal on the left side. :)
That makes sense:tu...,.,.THANKS Craig :)

· Premium Member
16,795 Posts
The PG transmission on the '55 leaks, while sitting in the drive way...Really have to keep an eye on the fluid level....Its not the burb through the fill tube thing, its something else.....I haven't investigated it yet.

Before I crawl under there and start looking, are there places that typically leak that I should look at....I'm thinking line connections, tail shaft seal and worse case front pump seal :eek: The transmission seems to be operating just fine by the way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
:eek: This is why I have not used my 56 convertible in 2 years. I resealed it once 20 years ago and it needs it again. The usual culprit is the sealing ring (actually a "quad" ring) between the converter housing and the converter cover. I have the parts just can't seem to find the time.:rolleyes:

-Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.