Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1955, Chevrolet 210, 283, 2-speed
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not specifically a transmission question, but I'll explain. Some time ago my starter went out. I purchased a PowerMaster starter for my 283, which is mated to a powerglide. The starter doesn't fit perfectly with respect to some interference with my transmission. I need to remove about 1/16" for the body of the starter not to hit my bellhousing. Here lies my issue. I was (very slowly and carefully) grinding a small amount of material to fit the new starter, when the grinding bit on my Dremel came off inside my bellhousing. I swear it was tight, but had somehow worked itself loose. Now I have a tungsten carbide bit sitting inside my transmission pan somewhere, that I'd REALLY like to remove. I need advice on the best way to go about this. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Not specifically a transmission question, but I'll explain. Some time ago my starter went out. I purchased a PowerMaster starter for my 283, which is mated to a powerglide. The starter doesn't fit perfectly with respect to some interference with my transmission. I need to remove about 1/16" for the body of the starter not to hit my bellhousing. Here lies my issue. I was (very slowly and carefully) grinding a small amount of material to fit the new starter, when the grinding bit on my Dremel came off inside my bellhousing. I swear it was tight, but had somehow worked itself loose. Now I have a tungsten carbide bit sitting inside my transmission pan somewhere, that I'd REALLY like to remove. I need advice on the best way to go about this. Thanks, in advance, for any help.
[/QUOTE
Data transfer cable Technology Cable Wire Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1955, Chevrolet 210, 283, 2-speed
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the original cast iron PG transmission? If it's a later alum. PG should have a dust cover over the torque converter.
Sure do. It looks to be removable, but I’ve never removed one before. That’s probably the part I was grinding on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts