Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was finally able to get some outside pics of my '57 Belair. I've had the car since 2001 when I purchased it from the original owner in Greenville, S.C. Actually, if was from his daughter. She was quite elderly at the time and for a while, we were pen pals. Haven't heard from her in some time and hope she is ok. Anyhow, had the car shipped to me in NY and it had 47,000 original miles. The car was complete from bumper to bumper but needed resto. No major panel damage or exterior rust. The inside was a different story. Replaced all 4 floor pans. I purposely was looking for a 2d sedan and I liked the Belair trim alot. I knew I was going to put a blower motor in it and I wanted some extra body strength because of the torque. The motor is a '71 400 sbc 4 bolt main bored .30 over. Cast crank. Forged rods and pistons. Stock heads and cam. 671 BDS blower with 2 600 cfm Edelbrock carbs. Puts out about 5 lbs. of boost. Trans. is a turbo 400-2200 stall speed converter-rear is a '79 Camaro with 3.42 posi. I restored the entire car and the only change, is the hole cut in the hood. I saved those pieces in case someone wants to change it back. That is all they would have to do. Everything else is stock. I also have a donor hood in the basement. I believe it took me about 4-5 yrs. to complete the resto. I've had alot of fun with this car. Have won trophies at shows but only for best engine or interior. Never a trophy in its class. I don't think people like seeing the huffer sticking through the hood of a '57; but I do. The car is an animal on the open road. Just fun to drive. Now for the sad part. I do believe I will be selling it shortly. I had it sold to a guy about 1.5 yrs. ago. The money was right but I backed out. Couldn't part with it at that time. Guess I remembered all those cold nights in the garage working on this car. I really felt bonded. Last year, I only drove this car 3 times for a total of 35 miles. Seems like I have just too much to do. Never meant to get a small collection, but I did. I don't have the time to give this car the attention it's worthy of and deserves. Maybe someone else can enjoy it. I contacted the person who wanted it 1.5 yrs. ago and he still wants it. Will be coming by in the next few days to take another look. It's ok if he doesn't want it. I'll just prep it for storeage and put it away for a while. If it does sell, someday I hope to have a another '57. Well, I get a little winded at times, so I think I'll stop for now. Thanx for looking at the pics, Carmine.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Car seat

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's been raining here; again. I did get the car started and out for a ride yesterday. Ran real strong. I'm suppose to contact the potential buyer who wants to take it for a ride. Doesn't look good for tomorrow; morning rain. Will have to wait until next week. I honestly don't think I'll be disappointed if he backs out. I don't have to sell it but I hate to see it just sitting.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke with the potential buyer this afternoon and made arrangements for a drive next Wed. He is still interested in the car. Been raining alot in my area and Wed. looks to be the best day. If he doesn't want it, I told my wife I have a plan "B". I've had the 671 blower on it since 2005. Had alot of fun with it but I think its time to take it off. I'd replace it with an Edelbrock aluminum intake, 600 cfm carb and fix the hood. I think it would be a great crusing car and still make decent power with the 406 sbc. Actually, I'd be looking forward to doing that so we'll see what happens, Carmine.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to agree with Mickey on this one Carmine, when it's gone. it's gone. How many solid 57's do you think are still out there?
Probably not many. It's not an easy decision to make. I think about it alot. I put my heart and soul into this car. It's not an issue of money. I have 5 toys and it seems I don't have the time to give this car the proper attention. I'm also giving my oldest son my original '67 GTO. Another car that is somewhat neglected and I've had that one for 32 yrs. Guess I'm downsizing. I just hope I'm making the right decision on the '57. Mickey mentioned that when it's gone, it's gone and I agree.

Thank you everyone for looking at the pics and your responses, Carmine.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Hi everyone, I was finally able to get some outside pics of my '57 Belair. I've had the car since 2001 when I purchased it from the original owner in Greenville, S.C. Actually, if was from his daughter. She was quite elderly at the time and for a while, we were pen pals. Haven't heard from her in some time and hope she is ok. Anyhow, had the car shipped to me in NY and it had 47,000 original miles. The car was complete from bumper to bumper but needed resto. No major panel damage or exterior rust. The inside was a different story. Replaced all 4 floor pans. I purposely was looking for a 2d sedan and I liked the Belair trim alot. I knew I was going to put a blower motor in it and I wanted some extra body strength because of the torque. The motor is a '71 400 sbc 4 bolt main bored .30 over. Cast crank. Forged rods and pistons. Stock heads and cam. 671 BDS blower with 2 600 cfm Edelbrock carbs. Puts out about 5 lbs. of boost. Trans. is a turbo 400-2200 stall speed converter-rear is a '79 Camaro with 3.42 posi. I restored the entire car and the only change, is the hole cut in the hood. I saved those pieces in case someone wants to change it back. That is all they would have to do. Everything else is stock. I also have a donor hood in the basement. I believe it took me about 4-5 yrs. to complete the resto. I've had alot of fun with this car. Have won trophies at shows but only for best engine or interior. Never a trophy in its class. I don't think people like seeing the huffer sticking through the hood of a '57; but I do. The car is an animal on the open road. Just fun to drive. Now for the sad part. I do believe I will be selling it shortly. I had it sold to a guy about 1.5 yrs. ago. The money was right but I backed out. Couldn't part with it at that time. Guess I remembered all those cold nights in the garage working on this car. I really felt bonded. Last year, I only drove this car 3 times for a total of 35 miles. Seems like I have just too much to do. Never meant to get a small collection, but I did. I don't have the time to give this car the attention it's worthy of and deserves. Maybe someone else can enjoy it. I contacted the person who wanted it 1.5 yrs. ago and he still wants it. Will be coming by in the next few days to take another look. It's ok if he doesn't want it. I'll just prep it for storeage and put it away for a while. If it does sell, someday I hope to have a another '57. Well, I get a little winded at times, so I think I'll stop for now. Thanx for looking at the pics, Carmine.

View attachment 77794

View attachment 77795

View attachment 77796

View attachment 77797

View attachment 77798
nice!...I would hate to lose mine too!....good luck..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.