Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Bought a 500 CPP box from you years ago for my 57 chevy build. Put pitman arm on as far as I could. Posted questions on trifive.com on this thread:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107112

Please read the thread and look at pictures.

Is this as far as the pitman and nut go on?

thanks, Fuzz

How I install them is to leave the lock washer off, use a big socket and ½” torque wrench and tighten up to about 120-150ft, lbs.

The remove the nut since the pitman arm is filly seated, put the lock washer back on and tighten it up enough to get the lock to lay flat without spreading.

Aaron Strietzel

Classic Performance Products, Inc.

Does this mean the pitman arm is fully on the shaft of the steering unit? If not fully on, how much should be on/engaged?
Is there a difference between a pitman arm of a power steering original car and a nonpower steering original car? If yes, which one is recommended to use?

thanks, Fuzz

Sent the above email to you, have not received reply - so sending thru tri5.

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
Is there a difference between a pitman arm of a power steering original car and a nonpower steering original car? If yes, which one is recommended to use?
Yes there is a difference. You need to run a manual steering pitman arm and manual steering center link when you use a CPP500 box.

There is an exception to this. There is a part you can buy that lets you use a power steering pitman arm and a power steering center link. It eliminates the power steering valve from the center link.

Note that the difference between a manual steering pitman arm and a power steering pitman arm is at its connection to the center link. The manual steering pitman arm has a spherical ball there, and the p/s pitman arm has a tapered stud, like a tie rod has.

Either one is going to interface with the steering box the same way. If you can get a nut and lock washer on the shaft after installing the pitman arm, if you can make the nut flush with the end of the shaft and torque it smoothly to 150 ft-lbs, everything is ok.

You should have a 1/8"-1/4" gap between the pitman arm and housing. You WILL see splines in the gap. They are tapered near the box and that's normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts