Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 57 4 door that currently has a 283 sbc with 4bl carb and a muncie 4 speed. It was a frame off restoration from a few years ago. It has manual steering but power disc brakes. My girls and I drove it all last summer, and it was great with one exception. It was so hot in there on some of the warmer days, my poor girls got hot. so here is my plans and goals. I am absolutely going to continue reading the posts and information on here. I am not a know it all, so please give me any tips or advice if you see anything im doing wrong or could be done a better way. I have a ton of questions, but ill see if i can find answers searching here first. I wont even start the LS swap until i have all the parts in hand and research is done.

let me add something ... it does seem like I'm doing extra work, and I am. thats fine with me. I want to get the AC done in the next few months. thats a MUST. if i have time to swap the tank and do EFI on the current motor, I will. if i don't get to it before spring, no harm. If i get super ambitious and can get it done and even add power steering I will. most likely I wont. the most important thing for me is the car has to be drivable during the season. if that means I have to do extra work, thats fine with me. the more I get done now, the less I have to do later. the LS swap wont start until the end of 2020. but i have 2-3 months to get done what I can.

Step 1. Install a vintage air kit. ( on the current motor )
i have questions on how much work it will be to get this working on the LS6. will i need a new compressor ? lines ? etc

Step 2. Upgrade the fuel tank with an EFI ready with 255lph pump

Step 3. Setup an FItech fuel injection on the current motor.
This motor and FI setup will be used later in a rat rod project so i dont mind spending the money on what seems to be unnecessary.

step 4 upgrade to power steering. I was going to do rack and pinion, but after reading here, im getting the idea that a 605 may be a better option ? any suggestions here would help.. Also should I wait to do this with the LS swap ? or is it fairly easy to add it now on the current motor and not be too much of a pain to get setup on the LS6 ?

step 5 LS6 swap with T56.

the end result I want is my 57 with the LS6, PS, heat AC 6 speed manual.

Parts list will be updated as i gather information and part numbers.

the LS6 I already have. I will be running the stock intake, injectors, coils etc. It came off of a Z06 but i believe it has the accessory drive for an F body, i have to double check before i start gathering accessories.

1. LS6
2. T56
3. bellhousing
4 hydraulic clutch setup
5 vintage air kit
6 clutch
7 oil pan
8 efi gas tank
9 FItech system for the 283
10 PS box
11 PS pump
to be continued........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
If the ls6 in the photo is what you are planning to use that already has intake & injectors then why not get a quality harness like one from Speartech along with a correct modified pcm rather than Fitec system not knocking the Fitec in any way Take a look on rock auto the spectra premium efi ready tanks with pump & sender are only around $350 I’ve used them on 3 cars with good results tanks inc are around 550 also work well I like them a little better only because of the recess did you get any accessory’s with the engine? I used Modern driveline for the clutch hyd very knowable. You will be replacing your ac compressor & lines + a different compressor mount from a SBC to ls Plenty of great info on here whichever way you go

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the ls6 in the photo is what you are planning to use that already has intake & injectors then why not get a quality harness like one from Speartech along with a correct modified pcm rather than Fitec system not knocking the Fitec in any way Take a look on rock auto the spectra premium efi ready tanks with pump & sender are only around $350 I’ve used them on 3 cars with good results tanks inc are around 550 also work well I like them a little better only because of the recess did you get any accessory’s with the engine? I used Modern driveline for the clutch hyd very knowable. You will be replacing your ac compressor & lines + a different compressor mount from a SBC to ls Plenty of great info on here whichever way you go
i think you misunderstood.. the FI tech system is for the CURRENT engine.. the 283.... i am using stock LS6 stuff for the LS6. maybe i should reword my post..

I will definitely look at Rock auto for the tank, thank you. I didnt get anything with the motor except the water pump and harness, oh and some hardened push rods, but I dont know that I will use those. may keep the stock cam and push rods. lots of homework to do still but ill keep plugging away.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
Question 1 the Vintage air compressor will work its the clutch you'll need a serpentine belt clutch for it. Easy to swap. Then will need to high mount the A/C compressor or notch crossmember for it most high mount it. If you lack the accessory drives now holley has some nice cast units that are affordable vs the $$$$ billet stuff.

Question 2 you'll need a pump that makes at least 100psi then use a regulator like the vette unit or if your rails have one built in use it. An LS needs 58psi nominal at the rails which is provided via a regulator.

Question 3 if you need a harness anyway the holley terminator is $1000 harness ECM and touch screen. https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ax_ls_kits/terminator_x_ls_kits/parts/550-903

Question 4 the LS6 powersteering pump will be metric oring so just need correct hoses or fittings for AN hoses, then pump will work just fine.

Read the FAQ and info sticky will save you time and money. Parts like oil pan are listed as well as other parts and items.
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35228

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I will start reading. I knew i came to the right place.

Question 1 the Vintage air compressor will work its the clutch you'll need a serpentine belt clutch for it. Easy to swap. Then will need to high mount the A/C compressor or notch crossmember for it most high mount it. If you lack the accessory drives now holley has some nice cast units that are affordable vs the $$$$ billet stuff.

Question 2 you'll need a pump that makes at least 100psi then use a regulator like the vette unit or if your rails have one built in use it. An LS needs 58psi nominal at the rails which is provided via a regulator.

Question 3 if you need a harness anyway the holley terminator is $1000 harness ECM and touch screen. https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ax_ls_kits/terminator_x_ls_kits/parts/550-903

Question 4 the LS6 powersteering pump will be metric oring so just need correct hoses or fittings for AN the pump will work just fine.

Read the FAQ and info sticky will save you time and money. Parts like oil pan are listed as well as other parts and items.
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35228

·
Registered
36,977 Posts
I question doing the FITech, power steering, and air on the current engine but that's your choice. Seems like you're going to do a lot of extra work, maybe not truly twice but close.

As 185 said the pulley on the a/c compressor is going to be different from the 283 to the LS6.

You mentioned a BBC bellhousing with the LS6 an T56. You're actually going to need an LS bellhousing that matches your T56 (different depth).

I think the FITech needs a 58 psi pump/regulator, so that part would be the same for both it and the LS6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I question doing the FITech, power steering, and air on the current engine but that's your choice. Seems like you're going to do a lot of extra work, maybe not truly twice but close.

You mentioned a BBC bellhousing with the LS6 an T56. You're actually going to need an LS bellhousing that matches your T56 (different depth).
the reason for doing the extra work is so I can use the car this season. if i start the swap now it will be down for a year ... my time is limited. I can do the AC and probably FItech before spring and use the car all summer. with AC.. the EFI .. dont care if i get to it.. if I do great... if not, doesnt matter. this gives me almost a year to gather parts for the LS swap. and ill have almost 6 months of off season to complete it.

as for the bell housing. I read that the BBC bell housing fit better in the tunnel ? or maybe that was what works to bolt my muncie up to the LS6. again... im not positive on what im doing yet.. this is just a spot for me to get ideas and info. so thank you I will look further into the bell housing. Good thing i have a year to plan this.. :)

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
The Fitech is bolt on take couple days it just replaces the carb. If you have another car to use it on then that would be a good deal then, as EFI will make it like a new car.

Make sure to get an LS T56 it will come with the bellhouse typically, using the earlier one can be done but easier just to find correct unit.
Tunnel fitment is subjective as now there are alot of different mounts made so the engine placement isn't always the same. Most time you can remove the pinch weld lip on firewall and should fit fine if need be.
But guy that had issue with his setup may not be the same setup as yours mount wise, same with other stuff fitment wise best to ask if you have doubts again will save you time and money. Most time you can remove the pinch weld lip on firewall and should fit fine if need be. Biggest mistake people make with swaps is they just toss money at a problem verse looking for a real solution.

·
Registered
36,977 Posts
There are parts and pieces out there in the aftermarket to match up a T56 to a traditional V8 and part of that plan would be to use a bellhousing for a traditional V8. There's really no such thing as a "BBC" bellhousing, but you would need one for a big flywheel, and plenty of SBCs used the same bellhousing and flywheel.

A much simpler setup would be a flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing for a gen4 Camaro. That would bolt up with no adapters, etc. The flywheel is 168 tooth, and there are many aftermarket choices of clutches for the gen4 Camaro. All you would need is a way to mount the clutch master cylinder for a gen4 Camaro. Quik Time does have a mechanical linkage bellhousing for an LS, but I don't know the details of making it work in a trifive, if it would even work at all.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
The key here is if he lacks a transmission, then just buy a 4th gen camaro one complete. The vette ones were rear mount so not so much fun. Ideally the 98-02 camaro is what you want. Now you can get a 5th gen camaro TR6060 but its a fixed yoke rear and would be little more $$$$. Biggest issue IMO is finding a near 20yr trans that people still want a decent amount of money for, but search. May find one out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The key here is if he lacks a transmission, then just buy a 4th gen camaro one complete. The vette ones were rear mount so not so much fun. Ideally the 98-02 camaro is what you want. Now you can get a 5th gen camaro TR6060 but its a fixed yoke rear and would be little more $$$$. Biggest issue IMO is finding a near 20yr trans that people still want a decent amount of money for, but search. May find one out there.
I have looked and found a few already, locally and some guys on the LS1 forums have them.. 1200-1800$ for the LS T56. so they are out there, I will probably just go that route and figure out the clutch linkage. i think I saw a kit specific for this swap. I have to look again and get some links/ part numbers.. edit BRPhotrods has most of the LS/T56 swap parts for the tri fives.. awesome.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Agreed; Having added AC and power steering to the original engine, and then doing an LS swap, I would recommend skipping steps 1 & 3.

This might help in your steering box selection; https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175042

Good luck, you will really enjoy the LS.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I went the route of buying a f body ls trans in retrospect I would have been better off to buy a t56 magnum in my case I kept the bench seat the shifter becomes a problem the shifter need to be in the most forward position & to do that a t56 has to be taken apart & modified even though I did the tear down & rebuild I had to buy a lot of parts to change things to use the shifter in that forward position & im sure I got close to the price of the t56 magnum which is already set up to use the forward position I now have a 4L65e back in it but it worked really well Talk to Modern drivetrain they will tell you exactly what you need I only bought the hyd clutch set from them but it made things easy One other thing will mention with the F body t56 6th gear is pretty much useless its .50-1 & I had to be running 75 or above with 373 gears to be usable

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
One other thing will mention with the F body t56 6th gear is pretty much useless its .50-1 & I had to be running 75 or above with 373 gears to be usable
5th is OD as well which is closer to what the auto's run OD wise. Easy to plan final drive based on speed you run plus tire size to beable to use the 6th.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
The t56 magnum has different ratios available for 5th & 6th also if you don’t have any accessories take a look on summit all three of these include alternator power, steering,pump, & brackets I know gm are all new not sure on the others gm-19418441 $710 Holley 20-143 $897. Summit csumLS103 $639 you will need a p/s reservoir & hose to the pump the gm fits corvette spacing which if your ls6 has the original balancer would be correct the Holley has different spacers to be able to use Camaro or truck spacing when I bought my set up the gm set up was only about $500 real bargain then none include ac brackets The corvette spacing gives you the most clearance to radiator & fans I seen someplace the balancer measurements so your sure which brackets you need

·
Registered
36,977 Posts
For me the T56 6th gear just underscored that I'd need and like a 3.89 or 4.11 rear gear and be able to have both the performance of the deeper gear ratio plus some prospect of being able to use 6th gear. So for me that was a good deal. I have a 3.89 rear gear and my T56 has a 0.50 6th gear. A guy I know has a 3.36 rear gear and a .50 6th and he says it struggles in 6th even on a freeway overpass. But even if I rarely use 6th I think a T56 is a good transmission choice.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
4.11 gears probably would have made mine more 6th gear friendly camshaft & engine spec. is certainly in that equation also

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
What size tire do you have (diameter). That will effect it too most Fbody car had 25” tires and 3.42ish gears, most trifive guys are running taller tire which mean less rpm. Most 27-28” tires you will want 3.90-4.11 with T56 to cruise 70 if you drive faster then taller final drive. Remember these transmissions are for a sports car that would run 160+.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
To get back to the original op thread (sorry) as to the power steering 605 or CPP 500 box would be & was my choice 500 in my case but again might want to hang on till you do the LS swap I did mine when I first bought the car with a SBC in it & all the lines & pump had to be changed again wasted time & money but not a huge amount to answer BO185 with the t56 I had 27” tires & 373 gears now a built 4l65e due to old wore out knee I say though the t56 wasn’t nearly as much fun as keeping your foot nailed to the floor & grabbing gears with a Muncie & hurst

1 - 20 of 28 Posts