Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I searched a little on the site regarding rear spring rates but don't have to much time I need to order new rear springs Monday so I can get them for next weekend, its the nostalgia drags at Pacific International Raceway in Auburn Wa.
'
So my questions are according to eaton Detroit http://www.eatonsprings.com/55-57chevy.html
the stock rear spring weight for a Nomad is 126 or 177 and the 210 wagon(doesn't specify 2or4 door) was 144 / 177 pounds.
'
I'm gonna smack the throttle a lot on this car and plan on drag racing some and possibly installing Cal Tracs and a F^&d 9" . Is the 177 pound just to high? or is it gonna feel firm and tight?
'
Then there is ride height, I'm thinking stock height, or possibly the 1" lowered version but no more, I like to sail over speed bumps and prefer a raked look to an in the weeds look.
'
Any experience I can call on for the weight and height for my order to Eaton Detroit tomorrow morning?

My car is the 2door wagon with a small block and Muncie, I just bought the car and low and behold the only thing holding the frame off the bumpstops in the back was ancient weird shocks with coils on the outside of them adjusted by muffler clamps. When I took them off the car immediately went to the bottom.

The rear shackles are also to blame the rubber looks like powdery old roof tar. The shackle bolts are literally riding in the shackle holes bare. The drivers rear shackle has been wacking the rear mount hard enough to leave sizeable divets in the mount.

The lower leaf spring plates were in sorry shape with one of them having the threaded portion of the shock mount broken off and a tiny cotter pin drilled through to hold the shock on. The passenger broke off after I tried to heat it up and wrench it off.
I've got new lower plates coming from Classic Industries and need help fast with springs and better shocks.
Please help
Carcass

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I continued to read about stock and lowered and the 5.75" between frame and axle and what others experiences were.
And it seems like an age old problem, leafs being to high, to low, to stiff, to soft, taking along time to set, hard to measure up because the old springs had sagged to much.
good grief I hope the boss at Eaton Detroit springs can fix me up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So what did the Eaton guy say?

I can't answer about the springs from experience yet, but I will be probably going with the 6 leaf mainly because I plan on doing some towing with mine. I just hope the ride won't suffer too much.

Also, I wanted to mention, back in the 70's when I was keeping the tire manufacturers in business :sign0020:, I had tremendous amount of wheel hop in my wagon. It was so bad I thought the back of the car was going to implode! I had air shocks with the stock 5 leaf springs. I installed some bolt on slapper traction bars that completely cleared up the problem.

In addition, if you are going to be replacing the shocks, which it sounds like you are, I would also be looking into a shock cross member.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70644
Depending on the cross member, you may have to use something other than the stock shock configuration. For example, an eye on the top mount instead of a stud.

I have never been to the nostalgia drags. That sounds like a good time! I might have to check it out next weekend.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
If you don't already have a cross bar for your shocks, that would be my next move....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what did the Eaton guy say?

I can't answer about the springs from experience yet, but I will be probably going with the 6 leaf mainly because I plan on doing some towing with mine. I just hope the ride won't suffer too much.

Also, I wanted to mention, back in the 70's when I was keeping the tire manufacturers in business :sign0020:, I had tremendous amount of wheel hop in my wagon. It was so bad I thought the back of the car was going to implode! I had air shocks with the stock 5 leaf springs. I installed some bolt on slapper traction bars that completely cleared up the problem.

In addition, if you are going to be replacing the shocks, which it sounds like you are, I would also be looking into a shock cross member.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70644
Depending on the cross member, you may have to use something other than the stock shock configuration. For example, an eye on the top mount instead of a stud.

I have never been to the nostalgia drags. That sounds like a good time! I might have to check it out next weekend.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips!
I called Eaton Detroit springs on Monday morning to get some tech on the springs for my 2 door wagon, as I want a stock heidt and a hefty spring rate but not overly bad.
I looked on their tech page and it seemed that there were two options that would fit the bill for me a five leaf 144 pound per inch spring and a six leaf 177 pound one.
But the guy I talked to at Eaton Monday morning was quite rude and worse unknowledgeable about where to put my 2door wagon in his computer, we hung up on sour terms. I don't think he even knew a two door wagon existed,
'
but from a past experience w9ith Eaton springs I delt with a guy named Mickey Akins and he is the MAN!!!
If you call Eaton be sure to ask for him and if he's out leave a number so he can call you back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts