Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a pneumatic reciprocating saw much? I have a cheap model from Northern Tool kind of like this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22114_22114

I don't know, I watch these shows on Horsepower TV and their saws cut through metal like butter. Mine is either a pile of junk or I'm just not using good blades. It moves back and forth like a hot potato but just doesn't cut worth a darn.

Who uses one and has good luck with it? I'd like to use mine a bunch more because a cut off wheel is messy and a flame thrower.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I use one exactly like that one. The black plastic cover broke the first time I used it. But it runs without it. I had to ream a notch in the frame so I could get the allen wrench into the blade holding screws on both sides. But for nine dollars at HF I already got my monies worth. I do not cut anything thicker than 1/8" with it.

Don

·
Premium Member
10,927 Posts
I have one of those, but I think it's an I/R brand. It works pretty darned good too.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand blades do you buy that work so well?

·
Registered
37,299 Posts
Get some bimetal blades. The HF saws are a copy of Ingersoll Rand saws, I think that IR should have good blades.

I have one of those saws. It cuts fine, but it's hard to control as far as cutting a straight line or following a marked contour. I think you may also be able to use bimetal saber saw blades if I remember correctly. I know I found good blades somewhere.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I got blades at HF. The more "expensive" ones.

Fine tooth for different metals. Like everything else.... The more they cost the better they should be. I say "should" be, but you know how that is?

Don

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Get some bimetal blades. The HF saws are a copy of Ingersoll Rand saws, I think that IR should have good blades.

I have one of those saws. It cuts fine, but it's hard to control as far as cutting a straight line or following a marked contour. I think you may also be able to use bimetal saber saw blades if I remember correctly. I know I found good blades somewhere.
IR baldes good saw is crap on my third one, it has only lasted becauce I dont use it. Two replaced under warrenty. These peoplr should stick to biolding impact wrenches.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Saws

Back in the days when I still had my shop, before the thieves got me I had a big band saw, a horizontal cutoff saw, and large hand operated powered cutoff saw and the small hand held small blade high speed cutting unit. They all worked really good. Now that I don't have a shop any longer we use a hand held grinder with a small blade for cutting. I still have the horizontal cutoff saw, but no projects that require using that much. I have never had a pneumatic recipicatiing saw. Might be interesting to try one, if we need one sometime. Thanks for the warnings about them and maybe which one not to buy.
Larry From Tulare, CA

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all. I'll check what Home Depot has tomorrow.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the same type of saw and i use Hack-saw Blade's in it,I take and cut the blade to length and then grind it to the shape i need for it to fit the saw on a grinding wheel!
Give it a try i have had better luck with blades and it cutting metal since!
Learned this trick from a friend in the auto body business!
FWIW,Allen

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use mine alot at times. I've bought good quality hacksaw blades and cut or snapped then to the desired length and ground the spine of the blade to fit the saw. Using the hacksaw blades is cheaper and your choice of tpi is much greater. Keep the air tool oil handy and it should work great.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Does anyone use a pneumatic reciprocating saw much? I have a cheap model from Northern Tool kind of like this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22114_22114

I don't know, I watch these shows on Horsepower TV and their saws cut through metal like butter. Mine is either a pile of junk or I'm just not using good blades. It moves back and forth like a hot potato but just doesn't cut worth a darn.

Who uses one and has good luck with it? I'd like to use mine a bunch more because a cut off wheel is messy and a flame thrower.
I have one I bought from HF. Got good blades and it works great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have tried 3 of them from HF and gave up, they were all garbage. Tried oiling them and disassembly to find problem Reviews on-line also confirm that they have quality issues. Suspect the ones from Northern came from same source as HF. Currently use battery powered Dewalt Recip saw.
Unk

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a HF it's at least 5 years old and still going strong . I oil it every time I use it . I bought a spare on sale just in case and it's still in my tool box unopened . Don

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a Husky brand one that works pretty good. The only time I have had trouble with it not cutting is when the panel was floppy and would move back and forth with the blade instead of cutting. I don't use it much now, nothing seems to beat a 4.5" grinder with a cut off disk on it. Well besides the plasma cutter, but I just got that this year, and it is not an option for alot of people.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts