Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have an Accel 34100S distributor and would like to change from points to electric ignition. I don't find either replacement points or an points eleminator kit for that. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, contact Accel and ask them. If they can't suggest one they have, there's probably not one.
The other option is finding a good stock Chevy points distributor cheap, and just buying Accel's points eliminator kit for it. That's the way I went, and it was cheaper than a crappy Chinese made distributor for a Chevy engine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ACCEL used two different point sets for their point distributors, depending on the year the distributor was made, and the engine line it was used in. One was an early GM point set for the "bowl" type distributors, then, to the later "window" type GM unit points. ACCEL had their own "point-less" electronic points drop-in replacement system (they did not increase spark output, not even with a "performance coil".

We haven't seen an ACCEL points, nor electronic distributor here in the shop for over a decade.

Willard Thompson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!
It seems that the Accel Distributor i have is not used very often anymore. It might be better to get a new one were the spare parts are easy to get. Looked for my one and all the parts for it(cap, rotor and condenser) are nowhere in stock.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Caps and rotors for oddball distributors can get pretty expensive! I've gotten rid of aftermarket distributors just based on that in the past. Sometimes it's better to pass it along, and start fresh with a current distributor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We get into doing a lot of ancient ignition system and charging problems here, and once you realize that things like caps, rotors and other parts are usually not special, it is easier to find original equipment parts to use, same as the specialty ones.

Case in point, Mallory was sold to MSD about 6 years ago, MSD was sold to Holley about 4 years ago. We see all sorts of original parts from MSD marked with an "M" after the MSD part number, which is NOT an MSD part, it is a Mallory part that fits the same as the MSD one being looked for. We have used a few of the red MSD 8433M spark plug terminal GM caps, which are not MSD, but, new old stock from Mallory.

Consider that Mallory did not make their own caps, except for the one that had the three pieces, cap, insulator/wire holder, and cap, they used older Chrysler caps and rotors, because they were readily available at the time. Example, the later Mallory caps are easily replaced with a 209M cap at most parts stores, They are black, not red, but, most people don't care about the color, 1957/1958 Chrysler V8, 318 Polysphere to 392 Hemi. Rotors as well.

Just what we have found here in the shop.

Willard Thompson

1 - 7 of 7 Posts