Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of a frame off. I plan to repaint the car. I was thinking about leaving the stainless on the body while I polish it. I thought it would reduce the chances of damaging it. It's already in pretty nice shape. Once I was done I would take it off and it would be all ready when the painted body comes back. Is this a good or bad idea?

John

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
If you are doing a full repaint the stainless has to come off anyway.You really cant polish it on the car like you can off the car(edges, heat, dents ect.).Different tools, same basic procedure.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what I was trying to figure out. Can I leave it attached to the old painted body and get a good polish. Sounds like no. To be clear, I plan to take it off before I get it painted? I was just thinking about polishing it on the old paint to reduce the chances of damaging it from getting caught in the wheel.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
you could get it to shine somewhat.
Probably could not remove scratches well at all and any compound you use will probably contaminate a later paint job as you probably couldn't get it out from around the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
get a handful of 3/4 in wooden dowel rod. tape pieces to it for polishing. will give you something to hold on to and prevent bending .

7,082 Posts
I'm in the process of a frame off. I plan to repaint the car. I was thinking about leaving the stainless on the body while I polish it. I thought it would reduce the chances of damaging it. It's already in pretty nice shape. Once I was done I would take it off and it would be all ready when the painted body comes back. Is this a good or bad idea?

John[/QU
Bad Idea. WILL NOT GIVE DESIRED RESULTS. PERIOD, BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. Just do it right one time. Beautiful. :shakehands::flag6: :bowtier:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

John[/QU
Bad Idea. WILL NOT GIVE DESIRED RESULTS. PERIOD, BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. Just do it right one time. Beautiful. :shakehands::flag6: :bowtier:
Might be easier to sand some scratches out with it on the car but it'll need to come off to get those areas buffed properly.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
if you have to remove it anyway, i would suggest removing it first and then you be able to work on the stainless properly, just have to be a little careful with it off the car but will yield a better end result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts