Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used FR columns in the past but I took this one apart to trouble shoot a problem I was having with the brown wire being grounded. The brown wire did not show any signs of a problem that I could see. But..........

Here is what I found unexpectedly.

The first three pix's shows the white wire was pinched under screw pressure and the copper is exposed. I did not use this wire anyhow. I ran a separate wire for the brake light switch. No big deal but poor workmanship non the less.

But the next to the last picture shows a pin in the upper part of the picture that is not pressed or driven into the assembly all the way.

The last picture shows the exit hole where the pin should be seen. There is no way to get to it without major surgery. Needless to say, I'm not happy. I'm not sure what that pin is holding but there is a lot of pressure on the tilt mechanism spring.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would send it back but I got it four years ago. I'm just now using it. But I think I will try. Maybe I can convince them that that pin they left incomplete could result in me finally reaching the "American dream". That's a lawsuit in today's America.

Don

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
The first three pix's shows the white wire was pinched under screw pressure and the copper is exposed. I did not use this wire anyhow. I ran a separate wire for the brake light switch. No big deal but poor workmanship non the less.
Don
Actually, the shorted white wire is the reason the brown wire showed a short when the 4 way switch was activated. The 4 way switch connects all 4 corner light wires to the brown wire. The turn signal switch connects both rear brake light wires to the white wire, so the brown and white wires were connected together when the 4 way switch was activated. If the brake switch would have been connected to the white wire, it would have blown the brake light fuse.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Actually, the shorted white wire is the reason the brown wire showed a short when the 4 way switch was activated. The 4 way switch connects all 4 corner light wires to the brown wire. The turn signal switch connects both rear brake light wires to the white wire, so the brown and white wires were connected together when the 4 way switch was activated. If the brake switch would have been connected to the white wire, it would have blown the brake light fuse.
Don comes threw again.....:tu

I swear you are a walking talking encyclopedia when it comes to anything electrical :sign0020:

Bummer about the column buddy, i guess it was a good thing Wayne (wayne557) just purchased a IDIDIT column that he just drug back to Australia with him.....

Rick
Rick

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don comes threw again.....:tu

I swear you are a walking talking encyclopedia when it comes to anything electrical :sign0020:

Rick
Rick
You're right on Rick..... I bet Don was vaccinated with a probe light when he was little.

Don

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE on Poor Quality

I was working with Flaming River customer service on the pin issue and the pinched wire.
They showed me pictures of a new assembly and the pin sticking out is normal. They said it is supposed to be sticking out but flush on the opposite side. Mine is less than flush but I believe it is ok. They did offer to replace it if I wanted to do that.
They also offered to replace it because of the pinched white wire. They also offered to send a new harness if I wanted. Anyhow, I decided to go with the new harness because I have my column modified for the application in my 55 and it is a pain to install. Removal is not too bad but I do not care to disassemble this one and modify another one.
They will have the harness to me in two days. Just wanted you all to know they are good people to work with and I never had to call them. This was all done by email in the last two days. Probably could have been done in one day but I am slow at checking emails.

Don

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
FR and Ididit have always been class acts. Just be thankful you didn't buy one of those Chinese performance columms, they would have run you around the block a few times just to drop kick you.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience but I didn't. I bought a column off them and when I installed it I realised it was too long. So I took some photo's and emailed them so they could see what I was talking about. They turned around and said that because I had already fitted it they could not take it back and that I had to buy a new one and also pay for shipping. I was not impressed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts