Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4speed pops out of 3rd gear every now and then. never did it before any ideas whats happying? thks larry

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Check your shift linkage, it may not be going all the way into gear.

·
Premium Member
16,185 Posts
As mentioned check your linkage adjustment and also the stops on the shifter if so equipped. If that don't cure it then it is time for a rebuild. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yep as said first check your shift linkage. My trans started doing that this spring, got under the car and sure enough there was slop in the Hurst linkage when in third, just enough to let it pop out of gear every once in awhile. I adjusted the linkage and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
While it can be the shifter, it is usually sliders and synchros as wraplock said. And if you drove it for any length of time with the shifter causing the problem, that will put a great deal of wear on them. So one thing leads to another.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While it can be the shifter, it is usually sliders and synchros as wraplock said. And if you drove it for any length of time with the shifter causing the problem, that will put a great deal of wear on them. So one thing leads to another.
I don't believe the synchros have anything to do with it popping out of gear. If it was a synchronizer issue the trans would just not shift very well. Once it gets into gear the synchro ring is just along for the ride. Check the shifter. If it's not it's either wear in the shift forks, slider, or the gears are getting worn.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My Borg-Warner T10 was notorious for the lingage issue. Go over everything including the stops. A little locktite solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i`ve rebuilt muncies for 30 some odd years....if your shifter is adjusted correctly and operates correctly....the problem is with the sliders or hubs,the scissors on the cover plate, or the engagement teeth on your gears...syncros have nothing to do with it,as they just act as "brakes" to engage the sliders...if you do rebuild the tranny,and the engagement teeth are worn...the newer "torq-loc" sliders sold will help your tranny stay in gear....also check all other above mentioned items for repair,and replace as necessary....good luck!!!!
friends,Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts