Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all on the boards, just wanted to say "howdy"

After a long search for my fathers favorite car, me and my brother found one for him. It seems dad had a 56 210 back in the day when he was rasing hell and being a kid. Found a excellent complete runner car and have started a rebuild/repaint. front end has been stripped off and is getting all new bushings/ steering pieces/ danchuk front disk brake kit/ V-8 conversion. After stripping down the front end, the snowball effect has taken effect.:eek:

here is a pic of dad and his 2nd love (had to correct that title due to the fact that mom walked by the computer,,lol)

Front end has been stripped down and readied for sandblasting. a pic of the plastic chevy block used to align the new motor/trans mounts for a V-8. (this car originally had the straight six, his had a V-8). The plastic mock-up blocks make things sooo much easier. An empty powerglide case is bolted to the plastic block and used for the tranny mount alignment

alot more work involved, but the Pacific Northwest winters are perfect for that.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for letting me in the door.:D

Keith.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Keith welcome to the site. And as for long lost love it`s O.K. My wife considers my 57 as my girlfriend. She`s fine with it though. Have fun with the rebuild.
Terry

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome Keith,
Glad to have you on board! It's cool to see you, your brother and your dad have a common interest. Your dad looks very happy! I spent a lot of time working on my '55 with my 18 year old son. Some of my fondest memories. Hopefully for my son also. Enjoy your time with the car and of course........your dad! You came to the right place! Happy Holiday's!

Tom

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Keith welcome to trifive it's great to have you here great bunch of Guys and Gals here any help you need or just want to chat we're here for you .Have a good one Sal

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that everyone says this but cherish every day spent with your dad on this project.Do you have any pics of the inside?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Welcome Keith,
Glad to have you on board! It's cool to see you, your brother and your dad have a common interest. Your dad looks very happy! I spent a lot of time working on my '55 with my 18 year old son. Some of my fondest memories. Hopefully for my son also. Enjoy your time with the car and of course........your dad! You came to the right place! Happy Holiday's!

Tom
Keith; my Dad and I spent a lot of time working on our '55 Chevy, now that he's gone some of the best memeories I have are those times,. Now I am tryng to spend that kind of time with my Grandson to try to give him some good memories for when he gets older. Do all you can while you can, time flies and you can't get it back.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No pics of the inside just yet, it's somewhat ratty inside. The headliner has long since disinegrated but the bows are still there, drivers seat is pretty much shot and needs new foam and springs. new interior pieces are needed.

Finished up all the sandblasting this weekend, the pic above with the plastic block is all blasted grey now. Had pops hanging onto the sandblaster and doing some work with it, but he couldnt take it for too long, his glasses fogged up under the goggles and he couldnt see,,so what does he do,,he wheels around with that nozzle pointed right at me,,now I'm sandblasted and need a new layer of skin. I jumped out of the way in time,,for the most part. got peppered a bit but I'll survive. He was standing there laughing at me for jumping around a bit, guess it was pretty funny,,lol.

Went to the paint store and picked up the PPG epoxy primer and borrowed a buddys paint gun. welded up some A-frame parts hangers with the wire feed and got all the cleaned parts hung up and ready to shoot. Ran out of sand for the bottom side of the hood so I couldnt get that blasted so it will get a coating of POR-15, after some scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and prep-solve.

Really excited to get the front painted and the new pieces back together. Got a call from the engine shop friday and was told the 350 is about ready.

Thanks Mike, we had some quality time this weekend working on the car, it was fun for sure. my sister and her nephew (6 yrs smart) stopped by and I had him helping as well, but he kept looking at the wire feed flash, so I had to set him up with some welding goggles. Handed him the trigger and helped him draw a bead on some scrap steel,,he did pretty good,,took it home with him to show his dad.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fresh primer

More progress made. Finally got some time to do some primer work,

Poor man's painting booth. Ran down to Wally world and picked up the biggest tarp they had, (24X40) stretched that monster over ome long pieces of pipe I had laying around and made a quicky booth. The shop we are using is about 3000+ sq ft. couldn't heat the whole thing so this worked out good.

Sandblasted parts hung and ready to go. A little bit of rust creeping back onto them, but they took primer good so I think they will be fine.

Temperature is getting up there, just about ready to go. Used a combination of flood lights,heat lamps, and a single burner radiant heater.

We are having fun now!! quite the fog bank in there once I got rolling. people would pop there head in there and go running and coughing away. no proper ventilation with a quicky booth. lighting was an issure, trying to see the shadows and also using black primer made it very tough.

Finished bits and pieces.

Frame turned out pretty good.

They say to save the best for last. Check out the winged devil that decided he needed a rest. :eek: little devil!!! thank god the parts were dry for all these pics. still cant get over the fact that he was on there, just taking a rest. Inner fenders turned out nice.

Never picked up a paint gun in my life, and it shows on some of the pieces. I got an honest 3 coats on everything so I think it will work out. It was an enjoyable experience. pretty cool seeing the primer go on and the feeling of getting something done. I had pops mixing up my 2/1 ratio for the primer and handing me stuff as I needed it. He was like a kid once he started to see the primer being sprayed on, had to holler at him a couple times to close the door due to heat loss, (Can I see?? can I see??,,,lemme look!!) all the while laughing under my respirator. Spent the whole day yesterday down in the shop. took a break for about 30 min to choke down some lunch, then right back at it. Started at about 6 am and finished at about 6pm.

It was great,, a good kind of tired.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Welcome!

I just wish my three boys were interested in cars! I do the lot on my own, but hey, I love it!!!

ENjoy! Like the plastic engine! I had to do mine the hard way.:mad: Two jacks and bits of wood packing!

Oh, great pictures BTW!!!

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
It all looks great, and I'm glad to see a beginner with a spray gun. When I finally have the room, and time, I plan to give my car the complete rebuild, and I'd like to do some painting, at least on parts other than the body! Keep the photos coming. John

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.