Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I'll do that.

Also lowered it 2" with blocks in the back and new springs up front. looks better a couple inches lower. Had a somewhat collapsed stock left front spring, kinda set a little crooked on the flat and level. Much better now

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Keith the seat should be fine. Some of those wrinkles will disappear after they have sat in the heat for awhile. Those rear tires should look good on the 56. I just put a 295/50-15 on mine this week.
Terry

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

pics I took last weekend. mom and pops taking the 56 for a spin. got the new 275/60/15's on there and I lowered it 2". The tire bulge is apparently a little greater with Mickey Thompson ET radials, so I ended up having to cut 1 side off of the forward spring guide/clamps. Put a wide hose clamp on ther to keep the spring ends from wiggling over and rubbing the tire. Hose clamp is hidden once the wheel and tire is on. looks pretty good. If you want street traction, you cant beat those MT Radials, they hook up REAL good.

ncie side shot of the tire wheel combo.

Russian ***** black.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Keith, those are the kind of photos you frame and put on the mantle or hang on shop wall:tu:tu:tu very cool indeed:cool:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Keith, those are the kind of photos you frame and put on the mantle or hang on shop wall:tu:tu:tu very cool indeed:cool:

That's a good idea Marty, I'll have to do that.

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Welcome back for another exciting edition of,,"lets fix the car"!!

So dad decides to take the 56 for a spin the other day, gets it warmed up and lets her roll down the highway. he gets about 2 miles from the house and notices the temp gauge is steadily climbing. He stops the car and lets it idle, taking note that the temp gauge is still climbing. pops the hood,,no fan noise when the fan should be on (185*),,uh oh! ,,.something is wrong in chevyland.:rolleyes:. He gets it back home and shuts her down,,water out the overflow,,DANG!!

The new Derale 16" Tornado fan with less than a estimated 10 hrs has gone Kaput!! sounds like gravel inside when you swing the blades.

Me being the curious tinkerer that cannot let something go unlooked decides to carefully have a look-see. EXPLODED BRUSH HOODS AND SHATTERED BRUSHES!. All the garbage circulating around in there also clipped some of the fine armature windings.

Here-in is where the problem lies,,lol!

And of course,,I cannot seem to work on one item without screwing up something else,,Yep, you guessed it. off to the radiator shop to have the new Desert cooler radiator fixed. Just a FYI for people getting ready to install a electric fan,,DO NOT,,I repeat,,DO NOT use the little supplied thru-the-radiator hinkey zip tie attachments, ,spend the bucks and get some brackets.

The good end to all this is the fan is still under warranty,, calling Summit tomorrow. This time it will be mounted as a pusher instead as a puller,,,with brackets!!. I think the heat got to the fan being mounted on the motor side of the radiator,,best guess. Everything was wired correctly with the proper gauge wire,,I dont know what happened.

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Keith it seems like everytime we think things are going our way on these old rides another thorn jabs you in the side doesn`t it? Hang in ther and it`ll all work out.
Terry

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks Terry.

A easy fix, just unfortunate, thats all. We'll get it sorted.;)

Getting my game face on for the call to Summit racing. I've spent a 1/2 ton of bucks there so it shoudn't be a issue waranteeing the fan.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
What a cool thing to do!!!

Greetings to all on the boards, just wanted to say "howdy"

After a long search for my fathers favorite car, me and my brother found one for him. It seems dad had a 56 210 back in the day when he was rasing **** and being a kid. Found a excellent complete runner car and have started a rebuild/repaint. front end has been stripped off and is getting all new bushings/ steering pieces/ danchuk front disk brake kit/ V-8 conversion. After stripping down the front end, the snowball effect has taken effect.:eek:

here is a pic of dad and his 2nd love (had to correct that title due to the fact that mom walked by the computer,,lol)

Front end has been stripped down and readied for sandblasting. a pic of the plastic chevy block used to align the new motor/trans mounts for a V-8. (this car originally had the straight six, his had a V-8). The plastic mock-up blocks make things sooo much easier. An empty powerglide case is bolted to the plastic block and used for the tranny mount alignment

alot more work involved, but the Pacific Northwest winters are perfect for that.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for letting me in the door.:D

Keith.
I know you guys will have many,many hours of fun together, weather you leave it stock, or completely redo her, great for keeping the family even closer, and then the joy of dirven her arouind together...

Keep us in the loop..

drew57 (andy):tu

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I just stumbled across this thread Keith and I've got to say:
"Good job!"
It's looking great. I wish I could find a 50 Studebaker for my Dad and fix it up for him.
He loved that car. Though that was before I was even born!:D

I'm glad to see you retained the vent-visors on the windows. I don't see those anymore much.
Looking great! Keep it up and keep us informed!
:tu

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Wow!,,how time flys. Been a busy summer helping Eric drag race his 67 Camaro.

Been awhile since I updated this so I thought I would add a bit more to the saga. I did get a replacement fan awhile back from Summit and got it mounted up front. Made some custom brackets out of pieces I found at the hardware store ("L" shaped brackets for wood forms) and got the fan issues sorted out. tossed the Derale fan controller and added a Painless wiring relay with a manual switch.

Did some jet work on the Holley 750 and got it to burn a bit cleaner. Over jetted a bit originally and it was sooting up the plugs pretty good and fouling them out. Now they look lite chocolate brown when I check them so we will leave that alone for the time being. Added a softer spring for the vaccum secondarys and now the slight bog it had is gone, I still feel the secondarys opening, it just shortened the delay for that. Pulled the timing up a bit for a total advance of 38 degrees at about 3300 rpms. Checked/listened for detonation and it didnt have any. It likes the 38 deg total,,she scoots now.

Indexed the plugs so that the electrode is open and facing into the combustion chamber.

The Interior?,, well thats another story, LOL. I think I better concentrate on replacing floorboards this upcoming winter, they seem to need it. It gets a bit toasty in there just cruzing about. Got some ideas on replacing those, just need to do a bit more reading and gathering tools and pieces. Talked to pops and he agreed the interior should be adresses, he's really sick of looking at the failed attempt of someone else (previous owner) to repaint the dash. I couldnt agree more,,LOL!.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Pops Love

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the update..time does indeed fly...but press on all is going well..:tu

andy

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,739 Posts
Welcome to the site Keith...From one Pops to another, I bet he's a super happy camper.....THANKS for the nice photos and updates...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
OK, for the life of me,,I cant find the camaro thread I started so I wll put this here.

THis is a clip of the last Head up race at Woodburn dradstrip, Eric's car that I have been helping him all summer with, is in the left lane (black car)

We had been running it easy all summer with mostly just motor only passes. Then we got a little braver and addded a 125 hp shot of nitrous for a few races, it did better with that. Motor-only it would run 9.05's at 155 mph, with the 125 hp shot it picked up to a 8.77 at 163, and prompty peeled the chrome window trim off at that speed.

So we got greedy at the last race and added a 350hp shot of nitrous,,things didnt go as planned. watch for the under-car sparks (sparks=money)
http://upload.streetfire.net/video/Big-Camaro-wheelie-1_186558.htm

·
Registered
323 Posts
THE BEST THING IS SEEING YOUR FATHER SO HAPPY ESPECIALLY BY YOU AND YOUR BROTHER THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MEMORY YOU,LL HAVE WELCOME ABOARD:)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.