Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty close to applying POR-15 to my cab floor board.

What advice could anyone offer in regards to bolt holes? I'm afraid that if I don't plug em, I'll have issues getting bolts back in. Am I sweating the small stuff?

·
Registered
622 Posts
DETAILS,DETAILS, DETAILS

Hello, yes you are sweating the small stuff, and you should. Any threaded hole should have a bolt screwed into it or you will have to run a tap through it later. The small details that you do now will make re-assembly much easier. By the way to get the best results from your Por-15, REMEMBER THE THINNER YOU APPLY IT THE SHINIER IT WILL BE. Take your time only put small amounts on brush and brush out, this paint will look like **** if you try to apply it to heavy.
Hope this helps
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once the paint sets, will I have a problem getting the bolts out? Should I pull the bolts before the POR-15 completely dries?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I've heard about the wearing the POR-15 until the skin flakes off. Thanks for the heads up.

Gregs210 mentioned that the stuff doesn't stick well to bare metal. I have many areas in the cab that are down to bare metal. I was hoping that the "Metal-Ready" would prep those areas for the POR-15. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

·
Administrator
49,952 Posts
I was hoping that the "Metal-Ready" would prep those areas for the POR-15. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?
That is what that stuff is for and will work fine after you use it.
Terry

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) All information given is good, but I've found that pouring what I think I will need into a seperate container and then closing up the can as stated helps.
It goes along way and I've always used one of the small 2" throw-away type brushs, goes on easily and does not leave the brush marks once it starts to cure. Which is pretty quick.
I wear the rubber gloves, and old long sleeve shirt and some old pants, as no matter how you try not to, you will get some on you.

Good luck,

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I'd post a pic of the cab so far....

She is in good shape except for the bottom right of the pic. You can see a small pin hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been using por15 for over 15 years & have had super good luck with it. I never open the can though. Simply punch 2 holes in the top one for the stuff to be poured from & one for air to enter. I usually just pour it out in the area to be coated & then just brush it out. When finished a piece of tape over the holes & roll the can aroud to coat the inside of the tape to seal it. I've had quart cans keep for 2 years or more & still in perfect condition.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been using por15 for over 15 years & have had super good luck with it. I never open the can though. Simply punch 2 holes in the top one for the stuff to be poured from & one for air to enter. I usually just pour it out in the area to be coated & then just brush it out. When finished a piece of tape over the holes & roll the can aroud to coat the inside of the tape to seal it. I've had quart cans keep for 2 years or more & still in perfect condition.
Glad I saw this-great advice. so far so good:tu

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Put bolts in the holes but don't run them all the way in. I ran about half way on mine and had no problem running them back out.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Man is that a good idea......:tu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts