Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the 57 at the body shop to get the firewall painted. They asked if I wanted 'chassis black' (NOT POR 15) up front on the frame and I gave a go ahead. Well I guess the kid was used to shaking up the can, altho this can says DO NOT SHAKE. The result is gloss black that has dulled in spots with what looks like air bubbles gone flat-does that make sense?

Anyway, before I start experimenting with POR 15 that I have, I thought I'd ask first.

Will I be able to "scuff" the chassis black and paint directly over it with POR 15, hopefully with good results?

opinion appreciated

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) I would say yes, but before you try it, why don't you contact Por-15 and see what they have to say? Worth a phone call to save time and effort.

1-800-726-0459 or check out their web site. www.por-15.com

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
POR-15 adheres real good to bare metal. Don`t know about how well it sticks over another paint. Even over itself you have to scuff it if it is dried hard.
Terry

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experiences POR does not adhere well to other finishes. Actually, it peeled off better than sunburned skin. I'd scuff to remove imperfections and repaint with a compatible paint, i.e. the same stuff, stirred, not shaken. :D
understand "does not play well with others"...:D

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
POR15 won't stick to other paint and it has a hard time sticking to bare metal. The can specifically says to let the metal flash rust (or something like that). POR 15 has to have rust to make the chemical bond. I let my whole frame sit out in the rain to flash rust before POR 15 was applied.
Josh

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POR15 won't stick to other paint and it has a hard time sticking to bare metal. The can specifically says to let the metal flash rust (or something like that). POR 15 has to have rust to make the chemical bond. I let my whole frame sit out in the rain to flash rust before POR 15 was applied.
Josh
When I bought the POR 15 a few months ago (haven't used it yet) I bought the recommended metal prep---think I was told it facilitated the bond you speak of. Haven't heard of intentionally leaving parts in the rain:D

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
In my experiences POR does not adhere well to other finishes. Actually, it peeled off better than sunburned skin. I'd scuff to remove imperfections and repaint with a compatible paint, i.e. the same stuff, stirred, not shaken. :D
So would I.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
When I bought the POR 15 a few months ago (haven't used it yet) I bought the recommended metal prep---think I was told it facilitated the bond you speak of. Haven't heard of intentionally leaving parts in the rain:D
:DI didn't have my garage finished so my whole car was in the rain. They were just separated from each other while I was doing the restoration. You could use the water hose if you want:D
Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts