Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting under the dash today with the POR 15. Saw that there is now a chat room. I was hoping to find someone there so I could bounce opinion/questions off them about POR 15. I'm hearing that people are putting it straight on light rust without using the Metal Ready. Wanted to know if others concur.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
make sure to wear gloves and face protection if you are working under dash the stuff works great but won't wash off

Otis

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,483 Posts
POR 15 is miracle stuff but as the previous advice of using gloves, protective clothing, etc is the best advice. There are other threads on other sites that describe POR 15 being in places that shouldn't be, and taking forever to wear off. I haven't used the stuff personally, but I have seen the results of others using it. As for being applied over light rust, it apparently works fine. The only time it breaks down is when it is exposed to direct sunlight. Just wirebrush the area and get as much of the rust off as possible and apply directly.
Eldon

·
Registered
258 Posts
also put a piece of saran wrap between the lid and the canwhen your done or you will never get it back off if you dont use it all. also they reccomend to pour some of it into a container as to not contaminate the rest of the can. just my .02 cents

·
Administrator
49,645 Posts
Don`t pull the lid off. Use a small punch and punch a hole in the top and in the opposite side on the upper side and then plug them with a sheetmetal screw. Works great.
Terry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the dash is done. I also have another car off the frame and the metal is bare. So I was able to use the whole quart. Don't have to worry about storage. Product was thinner that I thought it would be. Even with gloves, coveralls and repirator I managed to get POR 15 all over myself. I guess I need to work on my approach to painting. I think the next time I'll be using long sleeve gloves of some kind and I'll add a hat. Maybe tape the sleeves of the gloves to the coverall sleeves?

·
Administrator
49,645 Posts
I have always been able to get it off me by washing it off at night. But the last time i painted with it a couple of weeks ago i got it on my hands and had to wear it for a week or so. No i didn`t wear gloves, hate the things.
Terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best suggestion I could make is to go to an automotive paint supplier and get the spray suit's they sell, rubber gloves and a ski mask. Pretty much all covered at that point although it is a bit hot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a buddy that has talked to an engineer that deals with paints and other compounds. While talking about POR 15 the engineer stated that POR 15 is a moisture cure product. He related that he had poured some inside of a hood to let it flood the restricted areas in the seams where you can't get a brush. He then had a problem with the product drying. Ended up ducting steam into the hood to apply moisture to the POR 15 so that it would dry. Because this is conversation between a friend of mine and an engineer on the job, I would have to still hold my doubts about it until a practicle application of the process. Even so; this is interesting and I thought I would pass it along. I know of another product that everyone uses that is moisture cure, and that is RTV (silicone sealant). I read on the tube of one I was using once that if you wanted it to cure faster just apply water.

One other thing......don't paint moving parts. They may not move when your done!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts