Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Northwestern Tools yesterday and I saw they had several portable evaporative cooling units purported to cool from 700 sq ft to 4000 sq ft.
The heat today in Houston is 100 degrees and probably hotter in that garage.
Needless to say I am watching golf in my chair inside.
Question- Has anyone bought and used any of these? Are they worth it.
They are pretty pricey.
I have fans but they just blow around hot air.
John

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
They work pretty well but don't really cool a whole garage IMO just the area right infront of the fan.

They are very very expensive and for the price you can install a heat and air unit. Or just a get Large a window unit if you can stand the look of it or too. And have real A/C.

How big of a garage do you have?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Houston is too humid for them to be very effective. Plus, in Houston, you're looking to reduce humidity, not increase it, because of humidity's potential corrosive effects. You need to use an air conditioner, or fan and cool yourself off with a water spray or mist. A dehumidifier might work if it does not blow out hotter air. If you decide on A/C your workspace needs to be compact to minimize A/C costs.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
If you decide on A/C your workspace needs to be compact to minimize A/C costs.
Or insulate the garage ceiling and door in minimize costs as well. My old shop was 30x40x8 with insulated walls and ceilings with garage doors insulated and it would maintain 70-75 with a large window unit pretty easily. I would turn it on in the morning when I knew I was going out there to work.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
As said, an evaporative cooler won't work in Houston. Even today when the temp was 103, the dew point was 67, and that's humid to the rest of the world, and to an evaporative cooler.

If you want some relief, put a window a/c unit in your garage, insulate the area if it isn't, and limit the space cooled if needed. A big window unit will cool 600-800 sf.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm in Dallas and have a Port-A-Cool 3000. Works well here in Dallas, but as your fellow Houstonian's have pointed out, humidy nullifies the evaporative cooling part.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I'm just using fans. I tried a window unit and it just wasn't enough....and my garage is well insulated.....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
Charlie, does that thing work all summer? Having lived in both Dallas and Houston, there's sometimes a difference, emphasis on sometimes. Often there's not. Houston style humidity and heat can occur through much of the middle of the country, it's just not every day like we have.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I use a portable air unit 1 ton. Keeps the 20x20 garage at low 80's takes out a lot moisture. If I hooked up two units garage would be in the high 70"s or better. they cost about $300 to 350.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
The larger one we had at work in Little Rock on a very hot humid day one really worked if you were standing right infront of them.

We have them here in the sandbox and the cool pretty good. But the bad thing is the DUST! It collects on the fins and fills up the water tank with mud! We have to clean them a few time a month.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,768 Posts
My 28x32 garage is about 80% insulated, but some of the uninsulated part is underground which helps. Anyway a measly 7,000btu window unit will keep it a steady 70 with LOW humidity with it only running about 5 hours a day. The trick is to keep it all cool so it's ready for when the really hot days come in july/august. Lots of days I let it run 3 or so hours even if I'm not gonna be in there, costs me about $18/month in electric. Also I don't park the 55 in there until it's cooled for at least a couple hours and sitting in the shade.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
A refrigerated unit is the best form of A/C.

You can get portable a/c units that get vented out through a window.

Evaporative dont work that well when humid, but I have seen some units where you can feed it ice blocks mixed with water.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok- Good feedback.
I have a 6 car garage with 10 ft high ceilings for my 2 post lift. I would probably have to insulate a section of it around the lift and put in a window unit.
John

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Charlie, does that thing work all summer?
We do get our humid days now and again, but it's definitely worth having for my 3-car. If it is humid, it becomes more of a blower, but all in all it makes enough difference to where I'm happy with it.

John,

With a 6-car in Houston, I would do something different than an evap.

Charlie

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Ok pretty large garage.
Whats your over all budget?
I assume high as the port-cools are expensive! Small ones are $800 and the larger ones are $3-4000.

Also do you ever plan to move?

If not I would invest in insulation and an actual heat and air unit. A 3 ton unit would cool that whole area just great. Not sure how much money you want to throw at it or how much time you spend out there, but there are options for even a package unit for outside that is piped for example.

If not you could simple use plastic dividers to isolate the bay you work in, and mount a window unit on a wheel stand and place outside that plastic and it will cool great but that is the cheap option. I have done that in a hangar when doing an annual inspection and an aircraft in the dead of summer.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Everybody keeps mentioning a window unit A/C . What if you dont have a window in your garage?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Everybody keeps mentioning a window unit A/C . What if you dont have a window in your garage?
You frame in a hole through the wall, that's how we did it for my room when I was a kid.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I cut a hole in an outside wall and mounted it through the wall.
Jim

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
No matter how you slice it, They are still swamp coolers and the dryer the climate, the better they work. Phoenix, NO problem. Little Rock, Waste of time and money. IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts