Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - The plan was to fire my inherited 1956 Belair last night that hasn't been started for 12-13 years. When I was installing the new battery I noticed that the red "Positive" cable wouldn't fit on the battery terminal. When I looked closer to where the cable ran I see that it is bolted to the block. and the black "negative" cable went to the starter solenoid. Clearly at sometime the car was converted to positive ground, for reason unknown, and I wanted to ask you guys a few questions to ensure I don't screw anything up.

I assume I can just connect the cable that is bolted to the block to the negative terminal, and the cable coming from the starter solenoid to the positive terminal.

Since the car hasn't been started or ran for almost 13 years do I need to re-polarize the generator?

There is an aftermarket radio installed, and I know it worked in the past so I assume I don't need to do anything there. However, I read that most radios wont work as they are set up for a negative ground system. The family member who gave me the car is not car/electrical savy enough to do a radio install so I doubt they did anything special. Is there something I should look at first to confirm the setup?

Are there any other things I should consider or do in regards to the electrical system before I hook up my battery and get her fired?

Thanks for the help

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,936 Posts
............. When I was installing the new battery I noticed that the red "Positive" cable wouldn't fit on the battery terminal. When I looked closer to where the cable ran I see that it is bolted to the block. and the black "negative" cable went to the starter solenoid. Clearly at sometime the car was converted to positive ground, for reason unknown,......................
I doubt that it was ever converted to a positive ground. The cables were installed wrong. The 56 never had a ground cable going to the block. It had a ground strap going to the firewall and another ground strap from the firewall to the starter mount bolt. https://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-12.gif
You probably won't need to polarize the generator, but it won't hurt. It takes a lot less time than typing this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts