Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have recommendations for a good powder coater in the D/FW area that can do a chassis?
I need to get my chassis and lots of other pieces done ASAP.

Thanks

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Anybody have recommendations for a good powder coater in the D/FW area that can do a chassis?

Thanks
Quality Powder Coating in Carrollton did a good job on a friends 57 Corvette frame along with a lot of other pieces including exhaust pipes and manifold (hot coat). ...... http://www.qualitypowdercoating.com/

·
Registered
587 Posts

Thanks
Geoff,
I recommend you talk with some of your local coaters & get quotes. Ask them what is included in there quote, clean up & blasting, how many coats, will they use a primer coat. Also ask them about curing, it seems to many coaters make mistakes in this area & if is not cured completely it will lead to chipping easily.
Brian

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Guys,

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Big-Blue,

I talked to a powder coater today and they said there is no need to put a primer coat on...."one coat is enough"
I know you're in the business and not trying to sell me, so I trust you definitely know what you're talking about.

Care to elaborate a little on how to properly powder coating and curing techniques?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've used Quality for many years on lots of things with great results.

Charlie

·
Registered
587 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Big-Blue,

I talked to a powder coater today and they said there is no need to put a primer coat on...."one coat is enough"
I know you're in the business and not trying to sell me, so I trust you definitely know what you're talking about.

Care to elaborate a little on how to properly powder coating and curing techniques?

Don, I've HEARD that Quality can do good work, but they did an awful, awful job on an item I took to them a few years ago. The owner (who has since passed) did not seem to care at all. I don't care to try them again.
Geoff,
As far as coating the frame I would recommend 1 of 2 ways. The first would be to prime & then sand out any imperfections you do not want, these would be small imperfections such as grinding marks small nicks etc. This would be done on more of a show quality frame. Most frames I do are daily drivers & two coats is what I do using either a polyurethane powder or a polyester powder. I do two coats because I like the extra coat on the frame as it helps fill any imperfections, flows out better and adds durability being a bit thicker, not to mention it just looks better. Now there are coaters out there that will put on about 5-6 mils in one coat which would be fine but I prefer to do 2 coats at about 3 mils per coat flowing out the first coat in a partial bake cycle. As you can see either way I would be laying down a couple of coats. This is how I would & will do my own frame & I treat my customers parts like they are my own. Never had any complaints so far.
As far as curing, the coater should be using an infrared temperature gun to measure the temp on the frame at the thickest & heaviest part of the frame, such as where a thick bracket was welded to the frame. If not this area could be prone to chipping from being under cured. Some of the first mistakes made by beginners in powder coating is under curing. The substrate must be brought up to temp before the curing cycle begins.
Attached are a couple of pics of frames we have done.
Brian

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts