Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone powder their bumpers??:questionmark: The cost of replating has really gotten expensive and was wondering about powder coating. Any pictures and comments would be appreciated. Thanks Doug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent the guys in KC a request for info on spay on chrome. I have some one locally to do the powder coating I was just trying to get some feed back from people who have done it and maybe some pictures. Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'll chime in here for a bit as I am a powder coater also. First if you looking for that chrome look stick with chrome plating, nothing will look as good and wear like a true chrome plating. With that said the spray on chromes look pretty good, but keep in mind that an automotive clear is usually shot over them and are only as good as the clear that is applied. Chrome powders look good until you put a clear coat on top of them & yes you must put a clearcoat on top to protect the metallics in the powder. Once the clearcoat is on it turns the chrome into a silver or what i like to call a poor man's chrome.
The powder will be very durable and will wear fairly well. Now if you are just looking to put a color on your bumpers & get away from the chrome look, powder is the way to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are doing color - as others have said, powder is the way to go. Many of the painted trim jparts on new cars is powder coating. An example is the Ford Rally bar option for their pick ups, this is a gloss black powder. Powder can give you higher gloss than is acheivable with liquid coats of any type. But if you want it to look like Chrome, powder will disappoint you. I retired from a company that made powder coats and later powder coating resins. Sold to the job shops doing work for the car manufacturers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am doing a set of bumpers for a 67 VW bus next week. We are doing them in a hi-gloss black & I will post pics when we are done so you can see the bumpers in a color rather than chrome.

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
Just a note on powder coating.

I used a local shop for powder coating for 3 or 4 parts over the last 5 years and I wasn't impressed with powder coating since it seemed to me to be just paint that was baked on and not much better than rattle can than spray on.

Based on that experience, I have not been a fan of powder coating and could not figure out why so many people liked it so well.

Well, I have seen the light, I sent my valve covers to BigJayDee paintedwithpowder and I can tell you I was blown away and now I am truly convinced that power coating by a professional that knows what he is doing is the only way to go. I guess it is like body shops some are ok some are fair but now and then you see something great. And that is painted with powder.

Otis:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Otis,
Glad to hear you have seen the light so to speak. Powder is not for everything or everyone, but when done right with someone who has knowledge of what they are doing it can't be beat. By the way the valve covers look awesome.
BB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts