Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about having the interior garnish mouldings (around window, doors, and rear qtr. glass) powder coated vs. painting. Also thinking about steering wheel and upper column turn signal collar and instrument cluster.

Anyone done powder coating on any of these items? Is it a good idea or bad idea? I know powder coating gets thick and can get in the way of proper install, so just asking at this point.

Thanks guys!
Matt

68,758 Posts
have never seen that done by anyone here Matt. but, i don't see everything and memory stinks as i have gotten older.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I do powder coating in my shop for my stuff and friend's stuff. I just have a used oven that I paid 50.00 for about 25 years ago, and use an Eastwood kit. I've done suspension pieces, wheels, Interior parts and anything metal small enough to fit in the oven.
I sure don't know about your steering wheel, is it all metal? 400 degrees would destroy the normal wheel.
I've found that sand blasting the pieces works best, the powder seems to stick best that way. I've just recently heard that Eastwood has some spray prep (?) but I have no experience with it.
With practice, you can get powder to flow evenly and not have issues with build up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Matt,
I like your thinking. Regular paint certainly has it's merits and there will be a bunch of guys that would vote for paint. However, for durability, I just don't think you can beat powder coating. I've had my frame, wheels, grill and more powder coated. Even if you don't have the stuff to do it yourself like Bill, the items that you described should be reasonably cheap at a local powder coater.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,386 Posts
What about thin metal parts (like garnish mouldings, etc)... Does the 400F temps cause them to warp or ??

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Powder coating is durable, but it usually can't come out as shiny as paint. So if that's a concern then maybe powder coating isn't the way to go. Otherwise it should be great.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
We (Niner Nomad) had all the frame, suspension, garnish moldings, steering column, etc., powder coated on project Snobad with no issues. For non-powder coat-able items, like the steering wheel, our local automotive paint store mixed us up matching spray bombs. In addition to the steering wheel, we used them on the engine block, differential, master cylinder, disc brake calipers, and so on. You can't tell the difference unless you're hyper critical.

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
687 Posts
Powder coating requires an oven cure of the powder, The steering wheel can't withstand the heat,

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
As has been said, the durability of powder coat is hard to beat. I've had many pieces coated (all black), both gloss and satin. Thought about doing my door and window garnish moldings - but it just can't stand up to the gloss of a nicely painted piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts