Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car: 1956 Bel Air Sedan, Stock 265, 2bbl, Power glide. Manual everything.

Issues:

1. Car pulls to the right –The car has all new OEM suspension. It pulled to the right after all of this was completed. I had a hard time with the manual steering so I decided to add power assist. Figured I’d get the alignment done after it was all installed. Alignment shop says that all the shims are taken out and that they cannot get it to align properly. Additionally, they claim that the power assist assembly is binding. What can I do to get the car to track straight???

2. Power Assist kit is binding- Purchased power assist kit PS-088B (PS Kit 19555-57) from Authentic Automotive aka Jalapeno. Finally got around to installing this a few weeks ago (purchased a few months ago, but medical issues precluded my doing the install sooner). Something is wrong- either with a part or my install because while the power assist is working and the car does move and drive, the pics clearly show that its binding in a few spots. What has gone wrong here? (Feels like the pitman are might be a little bit too long) Will try and post some pics shortly.

I am posting here to see if some of the local experts might be able to shed some light on this and maybe help me find where the error lies. I don’t think that the kit is causing the pulling, but with the binding it isn’t helping either.

Any tips, tricks or additional guidance would be most helpful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Trying to help Dad with pics. Here's one. Wonder if anyone can post up a few pics of what it's supposed to look like so we can try to figure out what the issue here is. Dad's down in FL and I'm in VA so it's hard for me to be of much help... Just want to make sure the car is right and safe so it can be enjoyed.

Side note: looking at Lower Control Arm it looks a little crooked with the bushings in them. Wonder if that is an issue causing the pulling to the right??? Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Have you spoken with Jalapeno (Steve) yet?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dad's not called. I think he spoke with Steve a while back, but the issue here is that Dad is not a car guy and does not really know what all the technical stuff is. (e.g pitman arm vs idler arm, etc.) If I call, it's useless since I have never seen the kit, did not install it and am going by the pics and description I am getting--- This is new to me as well...

I usually do all of the labor and usually know what the parts are (or will figure it out with enough stupid questions- LOL), but since I am so far away, I was hoping we might get some ideas and maybe a few pics for him to reference in the interim. At some point I will have the opportunity to fly down and work on this, but was thinking if we had some input from the community, he might find the solution and be able to remedy before I get there.

Sent Jalapeno (Steve) a PM as well to see if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Look at your left and right tie rod assemblies. Each assembly is a short tie rod, a sleeve and a long tie rod. The long tie rods are supposed to be the inner ones. You have the long inner tie rod on the outside instead of the inside. Switch them around and see what you get.

Also, the valve might need to be adjusted (balanced for equal pressure ), sometimes called centering.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good info. I'll tell dad to give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks. We'll post up results when it's been swapped.

Any ideas on the pulling to the right issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power steering assist

Jalapeno, this is great information, Thanks. I’ll get under the car and see if I can figure it out and then post the results. :p3::flag6:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Any ideas on the pulling to the right issue?
You said it was doing this before, so it may not be an issue with the new linkage.

But if it is, my guess would be the control valve needs to be adjusted (centered) slightly. The instructions I sent outlines the procedure, very simple.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Also, the left and right tie rod assemblies should be equal length. If they are different lengths the geometry of the steering will be affected, though I'm not convinced it would cause a directional pull.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was thinking that it could be an issue with one of the original control arms. When we took it all apart, it was all inspected and looked good to go so we installed new bushings and put it all back together.

Didn't realize it pulled as we didn't really drive it much. Dad discovered the pull and I figured it would be an easy fix (adjust the tie rod and call it good.)

So, I suggested he hold off on the alignment till after the power assist - just in case... I don't think the power assist is causing the issue, but with the binding, I'm sure it's not helping. Hopefully the flip flop of the tie rods will alleviate the binding and maybe the car will take a proper alignment. If not, then we'll be looking for ideas on the alignment issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steering assist

Last 2 days raining a storm in SW Florida. Haven’t had a chance to get under the car and take a look. Where is this centering “thing”?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Check that the a-arm shaft is oriented correctly when it was assembled with the new bushings, it can be installed backwards in the a-arm.

"Centering" is the adjustment done on the valve with the nut on the end of the valve. This will equalize the pressure to the cylinder. My instructions show the procedure, refer to the copy sent with the system, or here it is online, look at the second page https://chevyps.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/ps-074-valve-installation-10mm-2.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
power steering assit

It's been raining for several days now. I was able to put it on safety stands and got under again but have not tried to undo anything until I'm sure of what I'm trying to accomplish. I will post better pictures this afternoon and will undo the longer tie (Lt one) and see where or how it should be installed.
Thanks agin to everyone.:flag6::p3:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
power assist

Well, here I am again... Good news is I finally figured out what needed to be done. Sure , second nature to most of you, but not to me. I took off the left tie rod and guess what? The inner and outer tie rod are connected together!! I was looking for 2 separate units!!. Anyways, did both sides and after checking my handiwork it all seems OK; no binding!! Now I need to check the length of each one and make some adjustments. Here are my most recent pics.:p3::flag6:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steering Assist

Well, here I am again... Good news is I finally figured out what needed to be done. Sure , second nature to most of you, but not to me. I took off the left tie rod and guess what? The inner and outer tie rod are connected together!! I was looking for 2 separate units!!. Anyways, did both sides and after checking my handiwork it all seems OK; no binding!! Now I need to check the length of each one and make some adjustments. Here are my most recent pics.:p3::flag6:

Well, appears I'm having trouble loading the pics. I'll keep trying. One of the short tie rods was damaged, so I ordered a new one. Should be here in a few days. I'll install it and try again to post the pics.
Thanks everyone:p3::flag6:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Steering Assist

Well, appears I'm having trouble loading the pics. I'll keep trying. One of the short tie rods was damaged, so I ordered a new one. Should be here in a few days. I'll install it and try again to post the pics.
Thanks everyone:p3::flag6:
Lou, from the pic in your last post, you haven't switched the tie rod assemblies as I instructed. Or is that an old pic? If so, why did you post it? And have you done the switch?
I talked with your alignment guy Bret this past week and it's possible you have some out-of-spec frame issues, maybe a sagging crossmember. Not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lou, from the pic in your last post, you haven't switched the tie rod assemblies as I instructed. Or is that an old pic? If so, why did you post it? And have you done the switch?
I talked with your alignment guy Bret this past week and it's possible you have some out-of-spec frame issues, maybe a sagging crossmember. Not an uncommon problem.
Jalapeno, I got the parts you kindly provided and are scheduled to be replaced next Tuesday (7/21/20).
I haven't posted in a while because I find it extremely difficult to navigate this site. And now with this renovation even more difficult. I was just starting to get an idea of what to do.
Anyways, the tie rods were reinstalled correctly and now other issues came up and Brett (Alignment Guy in Cape Coral) is trying to fix. I will keep you posted of progress and will take new pictures so I can post.
Here in Florida; very hot and extremely humid... Next project AC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still having problems with the power assist kit. Second kit has same problem, pull to extreme right. Jalapeno in close contact with the alignment guy and sending another kit.
thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hope this will work for you this time. I have been considering this kit myself. Keep us posted. I would also be curious if you experience any cylinder leaks?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts