Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought another 57. i will be using this one for a daily driver it is a 4dr sedan with a ton of options.... factory treadle vac brakes,ps,wanderbar,ect
now my question is what in the world do i do with the funky brake booster???? it looks like some parts tie to the rear bumper!!!! should i try to rebuild or pitch it in dumpster and go to a aftermarket unit???? if i went aftermarket what will i need to find off a non power car?? bought car yesterday for $1300 with no engine and have it driving today with no brakes. well i have e brakes.i dont want to spend alot on this and it wont be a show car. just a family car till my 2dr gets done:p3:

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I'm sure there will be some to disagree but i would get rid of the tredlevac system and upgrade with a new master cylinder and booster. This will force you to make a split system of your brakes so the front and rear brakes are on separate circuits. The safety of this set up is far superior to a single circuit. I had the stock master cylinder fail twice in the Nomad and it wasn't pretty either time.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Brakes

For a daily driver I would definitely go with a dual system, discs up front and in my opinion a vacuum booster (in place of unassisted). I drove my car back in the day with stock brakes and have memories of doing leg presses to stop. Also experienced a leak in thee single line system which was pretty scary.

When it came time for the effort to put it back on the road upgraded brakes were at the very top of the list of things to do!

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Have to agree with the others for a daily driver.

I have kept the original as its easy to replace parts when needed as well as maintaining the system, mine is not a daily driver though.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
No problem with converting to disk here, but I did manual disk because every booster I have seen is ugly and looks out of place. Get a system that uses
70 chevelle calipers they stop better than Metric S10 crap.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
I rebuilt mine 10 years ago works fine still, but changing to manual discs this winter. Found a great deal on dropped spindles and discs.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Manual, Chevelle here, too.

No problem with converting to disk here, but I did manual disk because every booster I have seen is ugly and looks out of place. Get a system that uses
70 chevelle calipers they stop better than Metric S10 crap.
If you desire power brakes, by all means do so. However, with front discs and a 7/8" inch bore manual dual master cylinder, you will not have to press very hard to make the car stop.

We opted against the booster can for ease of maintenance and simpler appearance.

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
you can get a complete kit for converting it to front disc for less then $500 (tomsclassic on ebay). great kit for the money. congrats and have fun with it. :tu ..................... hint :pics-1:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
For a daily driver go with aftermarket power front discs with dual MC.

And don't just toss the OEM brake stuff, sell it and recoup some of the expensive of the upgrade parts. It's best to sell it as a complete system, so include all the parts. Which means you'll have to replace the PB pedal with a manual brake pedal, but that's easy since you have several cars to pick parts from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts