Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a LS1 in a 55 Nomad - Power brake booster may be to big to fit in space available - Have not had non-power brakes for a very long time - I will have disc brakes in front, drum in back - Does anyone have a non-power brake setup with disc / drum combination and is currently satisfied with their combination? If so, what master cylinder did you use?

Proportioning value - adjustable or preset - have read a lot - seems many folks say it's best to use a manual - I have no experience with a manual, but want to get it right the first time - If you were going with a non-power, disc / drum setup, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
East Coast Chevy Ol' 55

We are running manual brakes. Disc/drums for a couple of years, then manual disc/disc following a rear axle swap.

All parts came from East Coast Chevy Ol' 55. The swap to disc/disc required only a proportion valve change.

Brake performance is quite satisfactory. If I ever have to replace the master cylinder, I will try one with a 7/8" diameter bore, instead of our present 1", as that would require even less pedal pressure.

I'd ask the great staff a ECC for guidance. Those guys know their stuff. Old school. No online sales.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Master cylinder bore size should be selected based on what front calipers you use.

Generally you should be using a 1" bore with the cast steel GM calipers most of us use if you don't have power assist. Some guys like 15/16" which gives you a little more line pressure at the expense of pedal travel.

If you use late Corvette or most aftermarket calipers, they have smaller bores so you need a slightly smaller master cylinder bore, say 15/16" or 7/8".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts