Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys help me out . My 57 has all what seems to be the right stuff to be a power pack engine but it does not have power pack heads. So how would you know if it was a power pack engine ? It has 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, fuel lines on the out side of the frame rail. It also has ( but do not know if it matters ) powergluide tranny,p/s and p/b .
So I guess my question is did chevy do this combo with out power pack heads ?
I know it has the correct 283 block and early 4 barrel intake . I have not pulled the valve cover off to get the codes yet,but looks like this is something I will need to do. Thanks again for all the help and understanding. Alan

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Are you saying that you do NOT have the heads with the triangle front markings? What marks do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
need the casting number/dates from under the valve covers......

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There is a remote possibility that the heads have been modified for old Stock Car racing. The 2 barrel marking is easily duplicated by removing the triangle from the large bar on the front and back of the heads. I have a 57 997 (2X4, Lo perf. FI) head that has had the single bar ground off the big horizontal bar to get an extra point of compression and still look like a 2 barrel It's remote but still a possibility. Look for the 539 number under the valve covers. If it's a 554 it's a 57 2 barrel, or it could be a 55 523 or a 56 064 casting. They all look similar on the end. Oh, yah, staggered pattern valve cover screws too.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Could be a third-party production rebuild. They didn't care what heads went back on so long as they fit. I have a used rebuild with a power-pack head on one side and a standard head on the other side. Another used rebuild with a camel 2-hump on one side and an unmarked head on the other side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys Thanks for your input. Looks like I will need to pull the valve covers to get the casting numbers but I'm guessing that someone changed the heads at some point. I will keep everyone posted .
Now it looks like I will be on the hunt for a pair of date code correct heads . Sounds like ca ching to me.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Won't be too expensive if you're not in a hurry, like a few years - and are willing to buy the block they are attached to. If you put out the word, all the riff-raff lurking on sites like these come out of hiding, offering you their problem orphans for top dollar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Dam you all ! I just ran out and pulled the valve covers ! Just what I was thinking . 3774682 on the castings A2160 . NOT the correct heads for the car. So this is good and bad. So if anyone out there has a set of power pack heads that will work with my F6I7 FC block let me know. Thanks Alan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now I'm looking for a pair of heads but my question is what date code should I be looking for to make it as correct as it can be. I'm thinking a week or two before the block was built. Would you agree with me ? I have found a few sets for sale but they are casted a few months earlier. I would also think they would need to be from the flint plant as well. Any thoughts ? Thanks again Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts