Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have put the conversion kit in my 55 Belair and have a question. My steering box with rag joint come right up to the firewall with no room to install the bracket for the column. My question is, is that bracket necessary or can I leave it off ( new column and CCP 500 box) still utilizing the bracket under the dash.

Thanks in advance - Joe

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Joe,
For my 500 installation, I didn't use the original steering column clamp on the engine side of the firewall, installed an aftermarket column clamp that installed on the driver side of the firewall.
Regards, Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe,
For my 500 installation, I didn't use the original steering column clamp on the engine side of the firewall, installed an aftermarket column clamp that installed on the driver side of the firewall.
Regards, Doug
Thanks Doug, sounds like a solid plan

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used a plate on the inside that covers the odd shaped firewall hole and has two tabs for a clamp. May have been from CPP. Not sure. I painted it black and it closed up the firewall nicely.

·
Premium Member
15,008 Posts
I used a plate on the inside that covers the odd shaped firewall hole and has two tabs for a clamp. May have been from CPP. Not sure. I painted it black and it closed up the firewall nicely.
That plate is a CPP item and it does a nice job of closing up the opening as well as securing the base of the column.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
That plate is a CPP item and it does a nice job of closing up the opening as well as securing the base of the column.
Agree Bruce....I put that one in my 55 HT (with some minor mods)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts