Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am kinda new to the Trifives, so I am hoping I get good advice for working on my 55.

I am looking for a power steering setup that bolts right into my 55. Currently it has a stock column and wheel with manual steering. I want to have PS to make it easier to drive and I plan to swap the column out to.

What can you recommend for my car and what are prices?

The next project for the same car will be front disc brakes and I would like to know what most people do, use the stock spindles? or replace them with aftermarket ones? There are a few kits out there, but I don't want to buy junk and regret it.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I have a CPP 500 steering box that bolted right in and an Ididit tilt column and a GM power steering pump and an pump bracket that replaced the stock front motor mount. I also bought a 15" 59 Impala steering wheel.

My column is the paintable tilt specifically for a 57 Chevy. As far as cost, I don't remember exactly but I think the parts were about $1300, not including the steering wheel, plus installation. You can get by cheaper with non tilt. Don't go cheap on the column, there is a very severe safety issue with the China made columns.

Check my picturetrail www.picturetrail.com/tmneid for some pictures of my instillation.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Here is the link for what I did the main problem I had was the borgeson rag joint needed to use the cpp joint. I am very happy with the steering I am running 275/35-18 on the front so allot of road contact and turns great even have ran autocross event with it.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110995

1 - 3 of 3 Posts