Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having issues with power steering getting extremely hot and overflows, and doesn't seem to be applying power. The pump is mounted behind the generator. One of the hoses went bad, and we replaced all 4 hoses and bled the air out using the wheels off the ground turning method. The air bubbles came out.

When the car is running, it gets very hot very fast, and it starts throwing fluid out of the pump's neck. How can we determine the issue? I have read it could be something blocking the system from circulating, a bad pump, etc. One idea from a friend was to try to hook the pressure hose (the large one?) directly to the return inlet to see if it stays cool.

I was wondering if I disconnect the fan belt from the generator and then held the end of the pressure hose (one that normal goes to the bottom of the car) into the reservoir neck and spun the generator by hand, should I see fluid pump out and back into the reservoir.

When the front wheels are off the ground and the engine is off, the wheels turn easily from right to left lock to lock, if that helps any.

This is my Dad's car and I am helping him since he is not computer saavy. Please help us fix this. :p3:

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Recheck the hose routing……...

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My guess is your electrical system is using the power steering hoses as grounds to the power steering box. Add another ground strap, engine-to frame.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,984 Posts
Check the routing of the 2 large hoses, to make sure they are not close to the engine or exhaust. Both the engine and exhaust can heat the PS fluid and this will cause it to expand. There are also heat shields used to protect them from heating up. When the fluid is hot it expands, and bubbles are created.

If all of these things are good, then there must be a blockage, or restriction in the system that is causing the pump to work harder than it should.

If none of this was happening before the hoses were replaced, it must have to do with them.

With the front wheels off the ground start the car and see what happens. Some times if the control valve is bad the wheels will turn to one side on their own. Also with the wheels off the ground the "load" or stress is removed off the system. You should be able to turn the steering wheel from one side the the other side with one finger. Listen to the system as you do this to see if the sound changes from side to side. It is possible that when the hoses were changed, junk got in the valve and has restricted it's movement.

A great guy to talk to about this is Steve Pratt with Authentic Automotive. He only deals in power steering systems for older cars and trucks. https://authenticautomotive.net/

Mikey

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I have seen ground straps turn cherry red while cranking because they were sized too small, but most ps hoses are rubber.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Absolutely! Had this happen to me. Added another ground strap, problem solved. It was on a build and happened when I first tried to start the engine.
Do you have braided stainless hoses?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Tommy8244, welcome.

I presume he has the factory power steering linkage-assist under the car, not a power steering gear.

What other work did you do to the components? Did you recently rebuild the valve?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
problem solved - brand new hose defective

Thanks to all of you. The brand new PS hose my Dad received had a partial blockage, so it fooled us when we took it apart and thought the fluid was going thru. So, we ended up rebuilding the pump, the ram, and the control valve. The good news is that it steers easier than ever. The bad news is the fluid is slightly leaking out of the end of the control valve (where the dust cap goes) so we have to look into that once car show season is over.

As far as it being related to improper grounding, that is easy to rule out. pull off the fan belt, run the engine a short while (remember the water pump is disabled) and see if the pump gets hot. since its not turning and its cool, that ruled that out. During the process we connected the ends of the hoses where they went into the control valve (using some brass connectors from NAPA) and basically cut out the control valve and ram from the circuit. spun the pump and when nothing came out the return end of the hose we knew the issue. ran a small wire into the supply side hose and it got jammed where the crimping was on the inside. All that because we assumed the new hose was fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As far as it being related to improper grounding, that is easy to rule out
Easier yet to temporarily hook another earth with a jumper lead, but l think the problem is related to the power steering system itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts