Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Getting around to installing my power steering kit I purchased back in June and running into a problem.

My car is a front motor mount 327 car, so I purchased this kit from "tomsclassic" on eBay
1955 1956 1957 Chevrolet power steering conversion small block front motor mount | eBay

I've replaced the driver's side stock motor mount with the provided p/s-motor mount bracket.
Upon placing the p/s pump in the new bracket I am finding that the p/s pump is sitting to far forward, or at least the pully is. The fan blade comes in direct contact with the pulley.
Also, there was a stack on crank pulley supplied as well with this kit but it too sits directly in the path of the fan blades.
I've just messaged "tomsclassics" for help but wanted to see if any of you had this issue on your cars as it appears almost 350 people bought this kit off of eBay from "tomsclassics" in the past year.
I already have the steering box mounted but now I'm stuck with this p/s pump, not sure what to do.
Is there a different p/s pump I should be using with a shorter neck/snout on it for this application?
The back pulley groove on the p/s pump does line up with the front pulley groove of my short water pump if that means anything.
I've attached a picture for reference. (Alternator normally above p/s area is removed for access)
Happy to provide more pictures if it is helpful.
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't know if you have seen this article
good pics at step 25+
With my low bandwidth I drank a cup of coffee waiting for the pics to download.
I bought the cpp ps pump but went with a ls motor instead. the cpp pump will wait for another project.
Mike

·
Premium Member
16,029 Posts
From your picture it appears the aftermarket fan you have on there has too much pitch and is a big part of your problem. The pump pulley also appears to be for a long water pump system. You could also try calling them, Tomsclassic is also Auto City Classics and are very easy to contact by phone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey guys,
Getting around to installing my power steering kit I purchased back in June and running into a problem.

My car is a front motor mount 327 car, so I purchased this kit from "tomsclassic" on eBay
1955 1956 1957 Chevrolet power steering conversion small block front motor mount | eBay

I've replaced the driver's side stock motor mount with the provided p/s-motor mount bracket.
Upon placing the p/s pump in the new bracket I am finding that the p/s pump is sitting to far forward, or at least the pully is. The fan blade comes in direct contact with the pulley.
Also, there was a stack on crank pulley supplied as well with this kit but it too sits directly in the path of the fan blades.
I've just messaged "tomsclassics" for help but wanted to see if any of you had this issue on your cars as it appears almost 350 people bought this kit off of eBay from "tomsclassics" in the past year.
I already have the steering box mounted but now I'm stuck with this p/s pump, not sure what to do.
Is there a different p/s pump I should be using with a shorter neck/snout on it for this application?
The back pulley groove on the p/s pump does line up with the front pulley groove of my short water pump if that means anything.
I've attached a picture for reference. (Alternator normally above p/s area is removed for access)
Happy to provide more pictures if it is helpful.
Thanks everyone.
I've read where some have used a spacer to move fan blade ahead, if you have room between blade and radiator

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Looks like you would still have a problem lining the belts up even after you moved the fan forward with a spacer. I am thinking the difference is in having a short neck water pump and a power steering pump for a long neck water pump.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mine was a total pain. Had to heat and bend the arm to go to the nearest water pump bolt hole. Then replaced crank pulley and power steering pulley and still was off. Finally, I shimmed one of them to get it to align. Definitely not a "bolt on" for me....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I run that style ps mount and had issues with fan too. I used a special ps pulley for pump that allows the use of middle grove on crank to run ps. Only works on non ac installs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks like you would still have a problem lining the belts up even after you moved the fan forward with a spacer. I am thinking the difference is in having a short neck water pump and a power steering pump for a long neck water pump.
Guess I didn't look at the picture close enough, was looking at pump pulley and fan blade

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
A spacer under the pulley will move the pulley and the fan forward, which will make the pump clear, plus align the pulley's groove with the pump. Just measure how much you need to align the belt, and then buy a spacer that thickness to go between the pulley and the water pump.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks like you may not have your pump hooked in the pump mount right. I’ve used that pulley and mount several times with know problem with no problem I agree your fan blade might need a spacer but the pump looks out of alinement. Here’s a picture if it helps
Automotive lighting Bumper Stairs Hood Automotive design
Automotive lighting Bumper Stairs Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
50 Posts
After looking at you power steering pump pulley you may have to go with a single like I have they sale them on eBay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the replies guys.
I spoke to the seller, "tomsclassics" and they were helpful with finding a resolution.
I have ordered a "setback" single groove p/s pulley and and a double groove crank pulley (6 3/4").
My fan was only contacting the outer (first groove) portion on the p/s pulley. With the setback single groove I will have clearance. Then, with the replacement of my single groove crank pully with a double groove, I should be in business.
Again, thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 68Dart

·
Registered
799 Posts
I spoke to the seller, "tomsclassics" and they were helpful with finding a resolution.
I have ordered a "setback" single groove p/s pulley and and a double grove crank pulley (6 3/4").
My fan was only contacting the outer (first groove) portion on the p/s pulley. With the setback single groove I will have clearance. Then, with the replacement of my single groove crank pully with a double groove, I should be in business.
Be interested to see how it all works out. Would be good to know for those that run into this issue in the future.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have ordered a "setback" single groove p/s pulley and and a double grove crank pulley (6 3/4").
See my post above. I had same issue and solved it in same mannner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, I will definitely come back with an update once these two different pulleys arrive and let you know how it works out.
Thanks again.

Reactions: 68Dart
1 - 15 of 15 Posts