Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a CPP 500 series power steering box in my 55'. I'm running a manual center link along with a manual pitman arm. The pitman arm starts on the output shaft just fine. The thickness of the pitman arm boss is 7/8" and the splines on the output shaft are 1 1/16", and than you have a space of about an 1/8" above the splines. This will leave a gap between the pitman boss and sector housing of 1/4" to 5/16". I wanted to check with you all first, before I suck the pitman on with 158 lbs of torque. BTW, how much do you tighten the center link end plug? Much obliged. Ted

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
Your gap is pretty normal. Torque it down to the value you said.

The plug on the end of the centerlink is tightened until it bottoms out, then you back it off 3/4 turn + whatever it takes to be lined up with the cotter pin slot. This is covered by in the shop manual.

Be sure you have all the springs, washers, cups and spacers in the assembly, in the order shown in the manual. Also, make sure the pitman arm ball is round and not worn. Worn balls are oval shaped.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your gap is pretty normal. Torque it down to the value you said.

The plug on the end of the centerlink is tightened until it bottoms out, then you back it off 3/4 turn + whatever it takes to be to line up the cotter pin slot. This is covered by in the shop manual.

Be sure you have all the springs, washers, cups and spacers in the assembly, in the order shown in the manual. Also, make sure the pitman arm ball is round and not worn. Worn balls are oval shaped.
Thanks. Ted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.