Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you can use a Mustang II power steering rack with a GM mid-'90's Power steering pump? I would think that GM and Ford made their pump pressures similar, but does anyone know of any problems I would run into?

I'm going to be installing a Mustang II IFS and using a 90's GM engine with the serpentine setup, so using the stock GM pump is the easiest since I won't have to mod the brackets.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I looked a little into pressure reduction like you suggested, here's what I found:

It is commonly thought that a GM/Saginaw style pump will not mate well with a Ford rack. In fact
Ford uses Saginaw pumps on some rack & pinion equipped vehicles.
Most all passenger car steering systems utilize pressure between 1,000 and 1200 psi.
DUREX recommends the following procedures when building your specialty vehicle:
1. Initially, utilize stock pressures on the power steering pump.
2. Caster setting should be between 4-6 degrees positive.
3. After a few test drives, reduce pump pressure ONLY when the vehicle has too much
power steering assist at a parallel park situation.
Lowering pump pressure reduces assist at all speeds and power steering is needed most at
low speeds. The high positive caster setting will tend to tone down the effects of power
steering at high speeds and will give the vehicle good returnability from a turn. A pressure
reduction kit can be purchased from your supplier that will reduce pressure on all GM style
pumps.

So it sounds like I can fire it up, then reduce pressure as wanted...I wonder if I can hook up a rotary brake prop. valve since brake pressures are around 1,000psi...

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a lot of pulley diameters available for saginaw pumps.You can go to a larger one from a FWD to reduce the pressure.I have done that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts