Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did the 605 power steering swap to my '56. I bought the kit and it all worked well, except basically every part needed a little tweeking one way or the other. Not a big deal, it was expected.
But my concern is that it is TOOOO easy!! You can just about breath on it and make it turn. I'd like to add a little resistance into it, but not sure how. Did I do something wrong??
Don't get me wrong, I love it!!! And I would reccommend it to anyone,but it's really touchy.
Thanx for any suggestions.
Chaz

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Chaz, you need to increase the caster. Have you had it aligned since the 605? You may or may not get enough positive caster using the stock upper control arms and inner shafts. I would have it aligned and tell the tech working on it to get you as much positive caster as possible while keep correct camber settings. If he can gain some caster, you may be satisfied as it is. If it is still too touchy, go for tubular upper arms as they add about 3 to 5º positive caster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Mike!!! I appreciate the help. I would have never guessed it needed to be realiagned since I didn't mess with any of that. That is VERY good to know. I thought maybe the pump had too much pressure or something like that.
By the way, if all goes well, I'll have her in your town friday for the "Big Show"!!!
Thanx again.
Chaz

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Chaz, I just rebuilt my entire front end, including the addition of power steering. I didn't use a 605, but a different product from CPP called a 500 series box. I suspect the overall application is the same, since it all bolted straight up to the original linkage. I also put in the tubular uppers (and lowers) and I can say that the PS is great, very smooth and easy and not at all touchy. I did, however, get an alignment. If the alignment doesn't work, I can tell you that the upper tubular arms certainly do. John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Bella57,
The alignment is fine. I talked with a couple guys of late and they are pretty much agreeing I need some sort of valve or something to adjust the pressure. I dunno. I guess I should take it somewhere where they can look at it and tell me for sure.
It really does handle good but it's just too easy to steer. I think i would like to have "a little" resistance.
Thanx Again!!!!!!!!
Chaz

·
Registered
141 Posts

The Easiest and Cheapest way to gain caster is to Grind off all the welds except the one closest to the firewall and center of the frame. Push the mount toward the ouside of the frame infront till it starts to climb the spring boss on the frame. Scribe a line on the frame metal before you start all the way around it so you can match the other side or put it back in case you break it off. You will gain 5º of caster. Put on wider tires and get a 30% reduction pulley for the Crankshaft you'll really Like it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My experience is mostly streetrod related but I find most of the kits sold don't match the pump pressure to the steering box or rack....often the pressure is too high....definitely something to check.Most pumps have an adjustment either by adjusting the length of spring or adding shims.I had the same problem after installing the power rack/pinion on the wifes 55....an allignment adjusting the caster as suggested above made it drive like a dream.I did however match the pump pressure to the rack....I used an early 70's Chevelle pump.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I didn't use a 605, but a different product from CPP called a 500 series box.
I'm considering using the 500 series box from CPP. Just wondering if it really is superior to the 605, as they claim. Definately more expensive. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Again,No personal experience but a buddy used the 500 box because it's a one piece casting instead of two.....his comment was he had lots of leaking problems with the 605.....Good Luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have heard a lot of talk about increasing the amount of caster on all the newer steering boxes, and rack & pinions. The new specs on all these boxes all call for almost 4 deg caster. The most you can get out of the stock upper control arm is about +2 deg. The CCI club and a lot of the kits tell you to add new upper arms they can give you up to +5 degs. This really helps a lot. The other way to stop the oversteer condition or very sensitive feeling is to add a proportional valve in the lines between the pump and the box or rack. It was found that the steering pumps are putting out a higher pressure now and this valve bleeds off the pressure at higher pressure to give you a better feel and enough pressure at idle to steer the car.
The valve is sold by HEIDT's #PS-101 I have a rack and just adding the upper arms really helped!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We had a company work vehicle that was like that. You could drive it fully loaded with your pinky finger and very light pressure and it would just whip the wheels back and fourth.

The local mechanic used the underdrive pully idea, it helped but not much. Very touchy to input and somewhat dangerous with that kind of sensitivity.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You really shouldn't have any problem with the box. most GM gears accept anywhere from 1000 to 1400 psi. I had a similar problem with my street rod and I replaced the gear(Nova, Camaro type) and that took care of the problem. Really the only time you need to worry about changing the pressure valve in the back of the pum is when you run a GM power steering pump with a Mustang ll front end. You can the balve for about 40.00 from various places. I would go with the caster angle first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
500cpp box vs. 605 box..I believe the pricing is about the same for either one, about $400 [purchased new]. I had the 605 box, and over time it developed a dead spot at the 12 o'clock position. You would end up doing a correction pretty consistently when the dead spot came on. Talked to many tri-5 owners, and they stated the same about the dead spot with their 605's. Junked the 605 [sold it] and put the 500 box in. Keep in mind they updated many items in the 500 vs 600 box. The 500 box is a marvel. Steering response is great. Not to touchy. Drives like a "normal car with power steering.". In my opinion, this is a serious improvement over the old 605 box..I've got about 4000 miles on the new 500 box, and it's operating the same as the day it was installed. Danchuck has them in their catalog now, and D&P Chevy [one of the forums sponsors] has installed quite a few.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also installed the 605 conversion---VERY touchy--almost SCARY--had some problems after about 1500 miles where front end would shimmy bad when braking--on rack found where shaft had dropped down 1/4-1/2";; Undecided about going back with 605 or 670--Contacted Kevin @ Concept One (770) 889-5900 (manuf of ORIGINAL 670, and also the Concept One Serpentine Belt setup on my '57)--dropped in and purchased his 670 --WONDERFUL!!! Power steering that has some actual road feel!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts