Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57' 4dr HT I've had it for almost a year now, when I purchased it the PS pump was disconnected from the generator, I didnt pay much attention to it. Ones I tryed to connected in place I added fluid and the steering wheel went crazy it nearly broke my arm. As soon as I turn on the car the steering wheel turns all the way to the right! I rebuild the control valve n got new hoeses. Anyy one helpppp!!!! I would really apreciate it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've tryd switching the hoeses back and forth nothing has changed. i also get bubles comin out og the houses attacht to the pump!

7,080 Posts
Great advise so far. Suggest you PM Jalapeno (member here). He is THE MAN on power steering. Hooked me up and helped me tremendously. His name is Steve and he is a good guy JMHO. Regards Lloyd

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Likely the valve is assembled incorrectly. You need to read and follow the valve rebuilding procedure in the shop manual. Double check the order of the parts during assembly.

Where most folks stumble is assembling the adaptor casting, the part with the ball stud hanging out. When you screw in the large plug (the part that holds the relay rod) into the sleeve (the part that slides back and forth in the casting), make sure you tighten it down all the way then back out just enough to insert the pin. When done properly the gap between the plug and sleeve will be about 1/16". If the gap is more than that the valve will act like you describe.

All of this will make more sense if you study the shop manual a few times. Post your progress and ask more questions, I will try to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts