Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, this is way off topic. But I have a flatbed scanner that quit working a couple months ago. The power lamp wasn't lit and it didn't work. So I tested the DC voltage from the transformer and got '0'. So I'm looking around on e-bay one night and poof! theres an identical scanner with all the options. I didn't need another scanner, but I figured if mine was actully dead, I would be ahead of the game. At any rate I bought the thing on e-bay and it came today. Guess what? The power supply with it read 4.5V and is rated at 12V DC. Okay, so I'm not real happy. I hunt high and low around the house and found a transformer from ?? something??. It is rated at 12V DC and when I test it I get 18V DC. Okay again, I figure under normal load it drops to 12V. I hook up my old scanner with the found supply and it will run. But, it scans like poop. So I switch to the other scanner and it scans equally like poop. I'm at a point I have a hard time accepting 2 scanners doing the exact same thing.
I tried uninstalling the software and re-installing it. No help. I move the USB cable to another port, no help.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
What does "scan like poop" mean?

Have you tried the scanner's manufacturer's website for a power supply?

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Mike

I have had a few scanner failures, I use to buy expensive scanners, But after a couple failures, I buy the cheap ones that way when they go bad I toss them

Now to your question,

When a scanner sends bad images or ocr to the pc after a scan, it can be a few thinbgs.

1. The drivers for the scanner may need to be updated, go to the manufactor's website and see if they have updated drivers.

2. Are you using the scanning software that came with the scanner, If so Try scanning from another program like image composer etc. The software that drives a scanner is in 2 sections, one is called the driver, and the other is a program such as word, image composer that uses their software to scan with, also make sure that when you scan the software is selecting the right model of your scanner.

3. This is probably not the case but your pc or scanner if it is high end uses memory to process the scans, it could be bad.

4. Communication, try using another usb cable if the one to your scanner is generic.

5. Usually when you install a scanner software/drivers you must first run the setup software with the scanner not plugged into the usb port during the install it will tell you to plug in scanner.

6. Try installing the scanner on another pc and see if the issue is still the same.

7. Try plugging the scanner power supply into a differant outlet, some outlets are not grounded properly.

8. Majke sure your hard drive on your pc is not full, because it also could be a vertual memory problem.

Hope something helps

Your friend

otis:)

·
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does "scan like poop" mean?

Have you tried the scanner's manufacturer's website for a power supply?

Two scanners, two different power supplies, same result. The scan runs and it's nothing but fine horizonal lines of different colors. You can sometimes see the item your scanning faintly.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sounds like a driver problem if it's doing the same thing with two scanners. Try uninstall and reinstall----always a problem with you pc users, but it might solve the problem.

·
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike. I did un-install and re-installed the software twice. I tried them on a second computer with the same results. I did however find a solution.......I slammed them both into the trash can out back.

Lifes too short to deal with that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
With the price of electronics, at least the low end stuff (don't know what your scanner cost) it's always better to toss and replace....I bought new ink, both color and black for about sixty bucks, for my epson all-in-one and started having printer issues. When I researched my problem I found that lots and lots of folks had the same problem after replacing the ink and many of them spent the time and effort sending the printer in for repairs. I tossed mine and got an HP all-in-one for under $100.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm the same way about tossing them printers, you can just about get an all-in-one for the cost of ink cartridges nowadays. I do have an old Lexmark Optra+ laser printer that I've been using forever becuz it won't break. I got it for my business then when I closed I brought it home, been using it for 3 1/2 years and still got the same toner cartridge in it, got a new one hoping I'll be able to use that up before it quits. Got an all-in-one too but only use that one for color printing, fax and copying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts