Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas posted earlier with just powerglide describing the "issue" now my question...is there an "o" ring in the bottom of top of the dipstick? the dipstick freespins in the tube and doesn't lock tight..I heard a pop over the engine and it spewed, is there a blown up diagram of the dipstick so I don't have to spend a 100 bucks for a used tube and stick? I just wanna repair it and go on, I am gonna let it cool down then drain it and refill it to see if I'm gonna get really #$%&^* off about shoddy work and sue the company for negligent work. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
aluminum or cast iron powerglide?
the aluminum PG dipstick tube has a o-ring that fits on the tube and seals it to the trans. the tube has a strap that bolts to one of the bell housing bolts.

the cast iron PG has an o-ring that fits just inside the trans where the dipstick tube goes in. the tube slide inside the o-ring. the tube has a strap that bolts to the side cover of the trans.

there is no diaprame on either of the trans dipstick tubes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a cast iron...there is no o-ring on the dipstick itself where it mates with the top of the tube,should there be one on it?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Mike, if I recall your going to have to remove the tube to expose the the o-ring.
Take the tube out after you raise the car up by the front, so no fluid leaks from the base. There you will see the o-ring. Carefully remove it and take it to your local well stocked parts store, and they should match it up, from an assortment most have. If no luck there, find a trans shop and they should be able to match one up. Upon reassembly lubricate that seal so it goes on the tube easily, and don't tear upon reassembly.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will give it a shot just annoyed and frustrated that I am having to do this when I paid for a master rebuild kit and had the work done and now I find myself redoing work that should have been done right by a "reputable" trans shop..thanks auggie the local carquest here is full of ole time gearheads so I will use them again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an unrelated question that still pertains to the dipstick; My dipstick has no marks on it (ie: full/empty). I've looked at classic chevy catalog and all the dipsticks do not look like the one I currently have on my 1955 2sp PG with a 136 Blue Flame 6. My diptube is short, about 1ft and the stick as well and all the "new" replacements are long and bent. I've been to a few shows to try and see if I can look at one in person and make a score line on mine, saw a few that looked exactly like my tube but couldn't find the owners of the cars. Still trying, but would anyone have a photo or a measurement or both so I can scribe a line on my dipstick. My trans started slipping in and out of second and want to make sure the fluid level is correct. had a long ride home the other night at 15mph. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts