Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Guys, New member with a just purchased 56 Bel Aire 4 door. Have a Powerslide problem. It will not shift into high gear when in drive setting. Worked just fine at first, then started slipping between gears, and now no high gear. I found I was low on fluid, and filled it up with no improvement. Do I have to pull this sucker out, or are there some things I can attempt while the trans is in the car? I am familiar with T10 4 speeds, but have never touched a auto. Printed out Dave's book, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, It will come in handy now that I have found a leak in mine.
Dennis
Hello ... my 'Glide leaks fluid mainly after it sits fer a coupla days. Also my main prob now is that when you go to start it it has a tinny knockin sound that I believe is the flexplate. Haven't been able to locate one that doesn't have some cracks in the hob area. Where can I get a new one or at least a good used flexplate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
P.G.

thank you for the info this site is awesome i recently rebuilt my P.G. with my thirteen year old son.Took it for a test drive first worked great no reverse wich i think is a linkage problem but when it shifted into second it would slip.When i pulled onto the curb in my driveway i lost all motion. like a chevy she got us home. having more time than money we are going to pull it out and go back through it.the info here is priceless.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,184 Posts
Anyone know what the gear ratios are on the PG.....I want o see how the low gear compares with the 200 and 700-R4.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,184 Posts
The ratios for a cast iron Powerglide are 1.82 in low and direct (1:1) in high.
THANKS Farm Boy :):tu The 200 has a 2.74 first gear, while the 700 has a 3.06 :confused0006:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Powerglide Dip Stick

Would like to get my hands on the engineer who designed this stubby thing. Any ideas where I can get an extended handle one, so I don't have to use a step ladder to check the tranny fluid level?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys, New member with a just purchased 56 Bel Aire 4 door. Have a Powerslide problem. It will not shift into high gear when in drive setting. Worked just fine at first, then started slipping between gears, and now no high gear. I found I was low on fluid, and filled it up with no improvement. Do I have to pull this sucker out, or are there some things I can attempt while the trans is in the car? I am familiar with T10 4 speeds, but have never touched a auto. Printed out Dave's book, thanks.
If you want, I have a 57 Powerglide that was replaced with a 700R4. I rebuilt it 3000 miles ago - ANYONE want it!? $100 and you pay the shipping!

Mac
98660 zip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanx

Downloaded the pdf and saved it successfully. I have a leak in my powerglide where the speedo cable enters the tranny. Is there a seal supposed to be in there.
Rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.