Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few questions about my PowerGlide – looking for advice on a repair.

A trans place did the re-build of my PG from a kit some years ago – seemed simple enough. It was attached to the motor shortly afterwards and there it sat and was then put onto the frame while the body was being done. A year later the motor was set up and fired up for the first time and we noticed a leak form the front. We knew it would eventually go back to the trans shop to be checked out – thinking it was the front seal – sometimes they go flat when not used.

Turns out it was the torque converter that was leaking, so the box came out and the thing was repaired – luckily they unbolt apart. Do you think that this part should have been checked and tested when the PG was re-built the first time around?

At the same time, a repair was needed for one of the torque converter to flywheel bolts that had gone in crooked and cross-threaded the fixed nut at the other side. This was done by removing an old nut from another item and welding back on.

At the same time, everything associated with the PG was given a look-over and a few seals changed, speedo gear checked, the cooler lines given a push into better shape, fluid topped up and the car given a run for a 10 minutes while on the hoist and run through the gears.

I'd be interested in an opinion as to how many hours this work should have taken. I'm wondering if I got stiffed in the process. Hmmm.

Advice/comments welcome.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,161 Posts
It never surprises me that this type suff happens. Most of the time it boils down to the knowledge of the shop doing the work, and the attitude of them as well. These are old trannys and even 20 years ago it was hard to find guys that really understood them, the problems with them and the fixes needed to repair them. So when you ask if you got stiffed, it depends more on the ability of the repair shop, and that is NEVER a constant.

That said I have a T400 with 50K mies on it that has been rebuilt 3 times in that span. Every shop tells me that this or that was not done right, and this or that needs to be redone. So I have over 4K invested in this tranny and I am sure it will fail again. And No I do not race my 3/4 ton suburban.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Skilled or unskilled.

Most of the time it boils down to the knowledge of the shop doing the work, and the attitude of them as well.
My brother ran a transmission shop for over 25 years, and pulled countless iron 'glides out back in the day, but told me he never once put an iron 'glide back in. It was because at the time, customers wanted rid of them for more forward speeds and better durability. Bro could and did rebuild them, but for DIY customers cash and carry.

Today, internal hard parts, especially iron castings with loads of wear, might be difficult to replace.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Many years ago I made a video on how simple it is to rebuild a cast iron PG for car and Corvette. A rebuilt kits even today is around $200.00 , the rest is labor cost. It has one drum assy inside holding the clutches and the rest is just replacing gaskets and seals. If you have some simple tools it's a no brainier to rebuild. It's removing it and dealing with the weight that's the hard part. Once out having the correct holding fixture can help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts