Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, i am currently going to change out my powerglide to a turbo 350 short tail, my question is will i have to modify anything, i measured and its close as far as drive shaft, also i will need to change out my rear end and leaf springs, what year of car could i just bolt right on in if any, im new at this.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The only HD option other than aftermarket overrated Ford or something good like a Moser 12 bolt, that is bolt in is 57 Pontiac 9.3. Anything else requires cutting and grinding. I used a stock driveshaft with a 12 Bolt, but shortened it when I switched to a 57 Olds 9.3, which required narrower perches and novement.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
8.5" 10 bolt is a good choice for a street car. You will have to change the spring perches though

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
why do you NEED to change out the rear and springs? Are they broken?
Any short tail T350 is a bolt in WITH a T350 flexplate, and driveshaft yoke. Driveshaft can be the stock one, fluid cooler lines should be close (?) from the stock PG then it's a matter of adjusting the shifter linkage. You WILL NEED a trans crossmember, use the one from a first Gen Camaro/'68-'72 NOVA, two pieces of 3" angle iron and 4 bolts and yer done.
8.5" rear from a 73-78(?) Nova is the correct width and plenty strong, but yes you will have to move/change the spring pads.
Again, what's wrong with the stock rear and springs?
Here are some pictures:
mine was setup, stock front motor mounts, Danchuk or other mid mounts and the 68 Camaro trans crossmember, and if you look real close you can see the blower drive pulley !

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.