Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My question is im currently changing out my 2 speed PG to a 350 turbo and found out after installing the 350 turbo, my flexplate will not mate up with the new torque converter, if i get a new one for a 350 turbo will it effect the elingment with the starter? Anything else i should know would be appreciateded.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
TH 350 swap, flexplate and starter

If you are talking removing your old cast iron powerglide for a TH350, you will want to use a standard TH350 large diameter flex plate like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z111/overview/

Then because you will lose your transmission mounted starter, you will want to go with a block mounted starter. I have had very good luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/6449-Starter-Chevy-Staggered-9000786/dp/B0094JIWFI

Edit: The link for the starter above may be for a Chinese knock off of the Delco 9000786 starters that I use, and may not be of the same quality as what I have been using. I am referring to the Delco permanent magnet, planetary gear reduction factory high torque starter used on most 1990's trucks and some marine applications. They are relatively common to find as new takeoffs at swap meets, at least in my area. Look for the Delco Remy logo cast into the back of the solenoid boss on the starter nose, and the Delco logo on the plastic cap on the contact side of the solenoid to be sure it is not a chinese copy.

Driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 57driver, already has a block starter, this transmission is mounted to a 327 maybe around 58 to early 60s engine.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Thank you 57driver, already has a block starter, this transmission is mounted to a 327 maybe around 58 to early 60s engine.
Um, I think you should check your engine numbers carefully. first year for the 327 was 1962

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you are talking removing your old cast iron powerglide for a TH350, you will want to use a standard TH350 large diameter flex plate like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z111/overview/

Then because you will lose your transmission mounted starter, you will want to go with a block mounted starter. I have had very good luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/6449-Starter-Chevy-Staggered-9000786/dp/B0094JIWFI

Driver.
Thats a good lead on that starter, cheaper than a broom.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Permanent Magnet, planetary Delco gear reduction starter

Thats a good lead on that starter, cheaper than a broom.
I should revise my notes on my earlier response. The link that I provided might be to a Chinese knock off of the Delco 9000786 permanent magnet planetary gear reduction starter. I see OEM take off Delco starters relatively frequently at the swap meets. I paid $40 for a new takeoff that I used on the Vortec 327 in my wagon, and I just got another new takeoff for $25 at the Elkhorn Wisconsin show and swap meet. They will always have staggered bolt noses for the large 168 tooth flywheels. These starters are used in 1990's GM trucks, and another version of the starter is used in marine applications. I know that the Delco units are good quality, but I don't know about the chinese knock offs.

Driver.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you are removing the rear trans mounts that came on the cast iron Powerglide, you will need a rear cross member for the transmission.

Also, if you are using the front motor mounts on the block (like the original 56 Chevy did) and you remove the rear trans mounts, you will need some sort of engine side mount / bracketing arrangement.

The original 1956 configuration has the narrow driveline mounting in front of the engine, and the wide driveline mounting in the front of the transmission.

Adding a Turbo 350 eliminates the wide front trans mounting, so you need to widen the mounting on the engine (side engine mounts is a common solution).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts