Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went to the doctor last week due to a ear ache that wouldn't go away. The doc found fluid in her ear and gave her amoxicillin to take one a day for 10 days. Sunday she felt really bad and had taken the meds about 6 days. Monday she didn't go into work and broke out in hives. Big swolen spots all over her. Her eyes and ears were swolen, they were basically all over her. She could barely wlk because of how sore they made her feet. I told her she looked like she had a botox injection...lol. Well, I got home from work and took care of her that evening. She was in alot of pain and very itchy. That night we went to bed and she tossed and turn because it was itching so bad. About 12:30am she got up and headed to the bathroom. I'm a lite sleeper so I work up and watched her walk to the bathroom. A second later I heard something fall and jumped out of bed and ran in the hallway only to find my wife laying in the floor having a seizure. I'm a pretty tough guy but my wife and kids mean the world to me and that image of my wife laying there seizing scares the crap out of me. It makes me want to drop to my knees. I rush to her trying to get her to come back to me or awaken her or whatever I was trying to do. It had to only last about 15 seconds but it felt like forever. She finally came around and was breathing really heavy but was saying she was ok. I rushed her to the ER and after explaining everything they decided to give her steriods and benedryl and told her to stop taking the amoxicillin. Seems amoxicillin can cause hives and seizures and even though she had taken the anitbiotic for 6 days and had no problems, her body decided to become allergic to it. So now she can't have any more amoxicillin or any of the cillin's I would guess.
They let her go from the ER and told her to keep taking the Benedryl. The hives have finally started going away and she is feeling much better. Thank God for saving her because it could have went very bad. She is going to see an allergist and start trying to find if the amoxicillin was the cause but I looked it up online and it has the exact symptoms she had so I believe that was the problem. hope you guys will keep her in your prayers, she is my best friend and much more.
Those 15 seconds keep playing in my head, very disturbing and difficult to process. Alot of things running through my mind. I hope I can remember that when I'm being a jerk about the little, stupid things I get mad at her about and realize how much I love her.
Josh

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Prayers

I'll be keeping her (and you) in my prayers and thoughts today Josh. Its easy to lose focus on the important things in our lives until an event like this happens. Glad she's alright. JIM.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Josh .. glad to here things are turning around ...your so right .. appreciate every day you have with your wife and kids..life can change so quickly....Debie and Fred

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Josh, that kind of thing can make you take stock of the real values in life. There is nothing more precious than ones family and life is so fragile. My prayers are with you and family. I hope her health recovers for the Christmas season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
She's in our prayers

Josh, If it's one thing we know in our family is how severe allergies can be so we understand what you went through and how tramatizing it can be. Your family is in our prayers! God Bless!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Josh; our prayers coming your way for your wife and you. We tend to take them for granted sometimes and we don't stop to "smell the roses". My wife just got back from a 2 and a half month business trip overseas, and i thought I would go crazy while she was gone. We have been married 35 years and have never been apart no longer than 2 weeks. All the kids are grown up and gone now, so it makes for a very lonely house when she is gone. She is and has always been my best friend and companion. I hope everything goes well, happy holidays, and cherish your time together.
Best wishes......Bill

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. She told me to say thanks as well. She went back to work today but is a little weak. She is tough as nails most of the time so for her to say anything about how she is feeling must mean she is really weak.
She is getting her wisdom teeth pulled next week so she will have that to look forward to as well. Thanks again.
Josh

·
Administrator
49,952 Posts
Josh i knew that was an allergic reaction before i ever got to that part.......because it sounds like the symptoms my wife went through a few years back. She is allergic to the "cillin" family of meds too. Nothing like them being sick to make us realize just truly how much we love them. My wife just got through an infection that could have been a bad ending.
We`ll remember you and your wife in our prayers here. Better give her a huge hug every day and remain Thankful for all we have.
Terry

68,758 Posts
glad to hear she is getting better josh. know you will keep an eye on her and prayers for her and you. she is one tough lady. we are here for you buddy. :tu

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. It really is appreciated.
Josh

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
We will pray for a complete recovery.If you dont mind return of prayers as I hurt my back 7 months ago and am 51. I feel after alot of thought and prayer i am to become an RN to help others. Am in school but have a long road ahead of myself.
Take care and may God richly bless you and your family
Greg

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,494 Posts
Josh. I will pray for your wife today . I can totally relate to how you feel. my wife had an brain aenurism about 4-1/2 yrs ago. found her lying semi-concious on the bathroom floor. 14 days in the hospital and some brain surgery later and she is well and at home. I pray for the best for you and your wife. John

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg, will do. Some times things happen for a reason.

John, I still shiver when I relive that moment in my head. It's not something that's easy to shake. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife as well.
Thanks again for all the kindness.
Josh

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Are prayers are with your wife and your family.

My Dad developed an allergy to penecilan and amoxicillan about 10-12 years ago, he's now 85. His reactions were the same as your wife experienced. He had caught a severe cold and his doctor put him on the medication about 4-5 days into taking it he also had a mild seizure and swelling of the throat that nearly closed down his airway...Thank God my brother had stopped over to check in on him and got him to the ER.
So anyway the reason for the story is to advise you to make sure that your wife has her allergy duly noted in her medical records to make sure she is never given the medication again...She should always make sure every doctor and nurse she sees in the future is aware of her condition... my Dad now wears a alert bracelet. Some of the drugs used to heal you can also kill you...

God Bless!

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Sorry to hear this Josh! Hopefully they find meds that work the way they should for her. Can imagine the fear you went through and hope it's the last time for it.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Josh

Remember that nothing is impossible with GOD! She is a blest woman
not only for GOD watching over Her but also with a loving Husband
doing the same.

STILL PRAYING FOR HER

TRADER

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Josh, prayers are sent.
In the reverse, my wife (and she's my best friend, too) took great care of me the whole time I went thru cancer treatment. I couldn't do much of anything, and she never complained. I don't know if I could do what she did to keep me around.
Bill

1 - 20 of 65 Posts