Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a radiator for my bigblock install but I am unsure which to buy. Both the PRC and AUTORAD radiators appear to be well built. Both are lower price than a Griffin radiator. I want to get the radiator, a/c condenser, over flow tank, twin fans and the wiring relay for fans. Has anyone used either of these?

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I am going to purchase a radiator for my bigblock install but I am unsure which to buy. Both the PRC and AUTORAD radiators appear to be well built. Both are lower price than a Griffin radiator. I want to get the radiator, a/c condenser, over flow tank, twin fans and the wiring relay for fans. Has anyone used either of these?
Sorry, griffin here, but Im sure u will get lots of respnse here soon

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have been researching the same thing for awhile and i'm leaning towards the Autorad..mostly because they offer a 1-1/2" core for high horsepower bigblocks..im working towards a Shaffiroff 598cu 775 hp motor:)

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I went with the AutoRad. I got the radiator, core support, a/c condenser, overflow tank and their custom radiator cap. I did not get the unit polished. I love their standard finish on it and am going to leave it as-is.

I liked the fact that the fans are bigger and are a higher cfm than the PRC.

I assume you are going to get their core support too?
I also like the fact that the fender mount "ears" are bolted on instead of welded and can therefore be adjusted. Not that I've heard there is a problem with the PRC in this respect, but it's nice to know that the adjustability is possible to do if needed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dearl, I did the PRC complete polished. However, I now wish I had gone with AutoRad because of one specific reason. The PRC radiator is welded to the core support. The Auto Rad is bolted. If I ever have a problem....I'm looking at pulling the whole unit out. Not something I'm looking forward to. Just a thought.....

Joe

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
"The PRC radiator is welded to the core support."

Are you SURE about that? That would be the dumbest move ever. I don't think it's so.

I think the first question to be asked is whether you want a custom radiator support as part of this package. You can certainly buy a PRC radiator without a custom support. Not sure about Autorad.

I have seem many PRC radiator installations and they all worked well.

I don't think that having a lot of big block engine size and power requires extra core thickness over the typical 27" x 16.5" crossflow radiator. Cooling performance at slow speed and cruise is a matter of airflow, in other words, the fan and fan installation. If you are going to make big power for miles on end, then that's another deal. Most of us don't or can't drive our cars that way.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
My PRC is bolted to a stock support and was on of the most talked about things on my car. Really well done.
Josh

·
Registered
153 Posts
PRC here too. Dual fans to help cool a 454. Drove in some nasty heat this summer for miles and barely peaked 200 degrees.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't need the radiator support. Gonna use my original one. I didn't think the PRC radiator was welded to their support. I do know that AUTORAD has the ends on the radiator supprt bolt on and the PRC is welded on.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Autorad does not list crossflow radiators sold separately without a radiator support on their website.

Lots of guys use a PRC with a slightly modified (or heavily modified) stock radiator support.

To me that is a huge difference. Autorad may have it, but they are not marketing it on the website.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Their price sheet states that their radiators are available separately starting at $650. (Remember you get a 5% discount for being a TriFive member and their shipping is free also.)

I would give them a call.

After I looked at the work involved to modify my stock V8 support (the way I wanted to do it anyway), I decided it was worth it to get their core support.

I got $128 for my original support on eBay so in my mind, I subtracted that from what I have into my AutoRad setup.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
"starting at $650"

PRCs start at less than $400. And they perform well and look good.

Why pay more?

You're starting to rival BeCool prices there.

When you move up to radiator supports the differences may or may not shrink. I can't speak for either's radiator support fit and quality, because I simply don't know.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Can't say how it fits yet, but I ordered the PRC Ultra a couple weeks ago and it should be shipping late this week or early next week. Seen a couple and they are real nice.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't say how it fits yet, but I ordered the PRC Ultra a couple weeks ago and it should be shipping late this week or early next week. Seen a couple and they are real nice.
Keep us updated as I want to order one real soon.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
When you move up to radiator supports the differences may or may not shrink.
It does do that.

The kit price for the AutoRad is $1,400. With the discount that is $1,330 delivered.
The AutoRad kit is very close to the PRC Ultra kit at $1,300 plus shipping.
Pretty darn close.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
But is it better? In what way?
Why are you asking me that? Or, maybe you weren't directing this directly to me?
I have said what I liked better about the AutoRad kit. I made a choice from the information I had available. I certainly can't and haven't said anything negative about the PRC. I have no first hand knowledge about the real life performance of either radiator. Both look like fine choices to me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts