Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
A while ago I wrote a thread on bead rolling sheet metal I a friend of mines forum Chevylegends and it seem to catch a lot of interest.
Have you ever noticed when you bead roll a panel for strength it becomes some what warped or deformed (oil can effect ) ? the reason this happens is because as you bead roll you are pulling the metal from all different angles to form the bead. How to prevent this from happening is simple . You pre-stretch the predetermined area to be bead rolled.

By litely wheeling over the area I marked with a sharpie from one edge of the bead to the other the upper wheel and lower anvil are pushing the metal out from between each other. This is slightly thining the area were the bead will go.

When I roll the bead in the panel the bead is drawing the metal back in with out stressing the panel. You will know you have done this properly when you are done bead rolling when you panel lies flat with out the sides raising up.

Now if you dont have an E-whel you can use a hammer and dolly or anvil to acheive the same results. Practice and determination makes perfect:rolleyes:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Excellent article! There are several tips in that even if one never has the E-wheels or bead rollers. The effect on the metal and why is clear even to me.

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts